Do dreams lead to self-awareness?

Dr. Pam Blosser, a teacher at the School of Metaphysics in Urbana interprets a dream of Laura Perry, one of her students on Tuesday. Erica Magda

By Missy Smith

It has been said that dreams can offer insight into the human soul. The subconscious mind is trying to make the conscious self-aware of things that are unknown.

What if this were true? What if all the answers you were seeking were locked somewhere inside, just waiting to be discovered? Would you take stock in something that came to you in a dream, or would you dismiss it as an overactive imagination?

The School of Metaphysics, 1009 E. Main St., Urbana, offers a class in interpreting dreams to shed insight on the subconscious desires.

Dr. Pam Blosser, director of the School of Metaphysics, said the more someone understands their dreams, the more they understand themselves.

“If you want to know the truth, go to your dreams,” Blosser said. “Your dreams won’t lie to you.”

Blosser said she realizes some people have trouble remembering their dreams, but that does not mean they do not dream.

“Everyone dreams,” Blosser said. “You have to. Dreams really help you to mentally prepare for the next day.”

Laura Perry travels from out of town to attend the classes on dream interpretation. Perry said she has made progress over the past few years in understanding herself.

“It really does work,” Perry said. “I came in just trying to remember my dreams, and it has helped me a lot.”

After Blosser helped Perry interpret a recent dream, Perry said the reason she had the dream made perfect sense to her.

“I have to forgive myself for things that happened in the past,” Perry said. “It’s something I have been working on for about 20 years now.”

Another participant, Angie Wyatt, felt self-conscious about sharing her dream after Perry’s, but after a little encouragement she did.

“Trust me,” Perry said. “I will just bet you that your dream will be a lot deeper than you think.”

Wyatt, who was just getting out of a relationship, was unsure about her present situation. According to Blosser’s interpretation, however, her subconscious is telling her differently.

“Your subconscious is giving you time to just feel good,” Blosser said. “Allowing yourself to just be is a freeing and satisfying feeling.”

Wyatt smiled, still a little unsure about the dream, but said with a laugh, “We’ll see what the next dream brings!”

Blosser recommends all her students write down their dreams in a journal because it shows the progression of their life, and that they can see history and trends in their dreams.

Blosser said that all dreams are good, even if they are frightening, because they promote awareness of the inner self.

Blosser advises her students to think over problems and then sleep on it, because famous inventors have come across their ideas in dreams.

“If you are having a problem, turn it over to your subconscious mind,” Blosser said. “When people say, ‘I’m gonnna sleep on it’ I laugh, because it is true.”

For more information on dream interpretation or other classes offered by the School of Metaphysics, visit www.som.org. The next dream interpretation class is April 1, 7:30 p.m. and costs $15.