“Bounce 4 Beats” benefits charity, offers good time

By Missy Smith

With the semester slowly drawing to a close, there are only a few events left to attend, so why not spend this Saturday raising money for pediatric cancer research?

Sigma Alpha Mu’s annual charity event “Bounce 4 Beats” kicks off this Saturday at 12 p.m., followed up with a concert at the Canopy Club featuring Atlantic recording artist Twista later that night.

This may sound like just another fraternity event from one of the many on campus being shoved down students’s throats. In actuality, it is for a great cause, and all the proceeds from this event help support the Emily Dorfman Foundation for Children, an organization that helps promote pediatric cancer research with an emphasis on pediatric brain tumors. By entering in the dance tournament or attending the concert, you will raise money to help support scientific research, and may even aid in a breakthrough – a pretty worthwhile thing to do while hanging out with friends and listening to quality music.

The 3-on-3 basketball tournament will be held at Frat Park, located at Oak and Gregory, from 12 p.m. to 4 p.m. Registration costs $30; deadline for registration is at 5 p.m.

If watching basketball for four hours does not sound like fun, there are other ways to support the cause. Stop by the Quad or the Sigma Alpha Mu Fraternity house, 301 E. Armory Ave., on Friday or Saturday from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. to buy tickets for the Twista concert Saturday evening at 9. Tickets are also available at the door, but only half of the proceeds will go to the foundation.

Twista has taken time out of his busy schedule to come support the cause, and there is no reason why the students of Champaign cannot do the same. Come support the Emily Dorfman Foundation for Children and help make the future a better a place, free from disease.

For more information on any of the events mentioned above or registration for the 3-on-3 tournament, please e-mail [email protected] or check out the Facebook invite.