Trials and tribulations of the late-shift

Ashley Riddle of Champaign helps out by preparing food during her overnight shift at the IHOP on Third and Green Streets. At night it can get pretty boring, but its a lot of fun when the bars close and people start coming in. Erica Magda

Ashley Riddle of Champaign helps out by preparing food during her overnight shift at the IHOP on Third and Green Streets. “At night it can get pretty boring, but its a lot of fun when the bars close and people start coming in.” Erica Magda

By Laura Pavin

A place exists where slurred words are accepted as orders and inebriated events are not viewed as out of the ordinary as much as they are “annoying,” as Pita Pit employee Jeannette Krubel, senior in AHS put it.

When the bars close, Green Street is home to late-night eating’s finest.

To a fast-food worker in most places, a normal night might consist of taking orders, making food and maybe making a friend or two in the process. Green Street fast food servers share what is often a different experience.

“Why is it an epidemic in college to pee yourself and poop your pants?” Krubel asked with concern.

Not every night consists of dealing with situations quite that bad, but in talking to Green Street workers, it is not uncommon for the average nightly employee to find himself in an awkward situation.

The cleanup for such incidents is among the reasons why the “men” and “women” signs on bathrooms in local eateries may become an “out of order” sign by nightfall.

“People get mad about that one,” Krubel said.

John Shammout, manager of Niro’s Gyros on Green Street, requires a key to enter the bathroom, or simply lets the “Employees Only” sign speak for itself.

Along with janitorial tasks, Shammout is faced with the task of keeping order within a line that is almost always too large for the premises of the restaurant.

“A few days ago, a guy went behind the register, ordered himself something and then printed his own receipt,” Shammout said. “He tried to take money too, and then was asking where his food was. We had the police come that night.”

Police run-ins are not limited to Niro’s, however. At the International House of Pancakes, or IHOP on Green Street., they are expected by both employees and the police themselves.

“Police pretty much wait in the parking lot,” said Ashley Riddle, a manager at IHOP. “On Fridays and Saturdays they just get out their handcuffs and start chasing people.”

While invasions of restaurant order are an occasional stress, invasions of personal space put a frequent damper on some employees’ nights.

Pick-up lines are an annoying form of personal invasion for IHOP waitress Jennifer Scott.

On a typical night, Scott hears such gems as “Is your daddy a baker? Because you have really nice buns.”

In fact, according to Krubel, once the midnight marker is passed, flirtation will occur – wanted or not.

“Last fall, a guy from the rugby team would come in drunk and ask me to his rugby prom every Tuesday night for a whole semester,” Krubel said.

In contrast, Shammout accepts flirtation at his restaurant more willingly.

“The girls…you know how they get,” Shammout said. “We have fun with that. But during the day they don’t say hi for some reason.”

A night’s business can even have unexpected benefits for some.

According to Scott, panhandlers working around the IHOP can make a pretty penny in one night.

“They come here and make about $100 some nights from drunk students who give them $5 and tell them to go get themselves something to eat,” said Scott.

Nothing quite measures up, however, to what Riddle said she experienced last New Year’s Eve.

“This guy went into the bathroom and didn’t come out for five hours, so we had to call the locksmith,” Scott said. “We opened the door and he was passed out standing up.”

Nights can be hard for both Riddle and Scott, but at the end of the day they will have more stories to tell their grandchildren than most people.

“There are weird people on campus,” said Scott.