Ways to combat winter’s chill

Brennan Caughron

Brennan Caughron

By Kristin Shaulis

As winter slowly creeps into students’ lives, more and more bundled up people will try to avoid having to walk in the cold. But winter becomes a problem when escaping the freezing air and wind is impossible, even when inside one’s own apartment. “The other day I was sitting in my room, and I was freezing,” said Jamie Sullivan, freshman in LAS.As winter slowly creeps into students’ lives, more and more bundled up people will try to avoid having to walk in the cold. But winter becomes a problem when escaping the freezing air and wind is impossible, even when inside one’s own apartment.

“The other day I was sitting in my room, and I was freezing,” said Jamie Sullivan, freshman in LAS. “I had on my North Face jacket and was bundled up in my bed.”

According to the American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy, heating accounts for up to 50 percent of annual energy bills, making it the largest residential energy expense.

In addition, the US Department of Energy estimates that each American family spends about $140 per month on home utility bills, the majority of that energy being wasted.

As a college student, it’s even more important to save any extra cash. After all, who doesn’t want to save money?

Perhaps Lowes.com puts the exact amount of energy lost into even better perspective. According the to the Web site, during winter the average home loses enough warm air every day to fill two blimps.

Above are some of the most common problems students face in winter regarding their apartments or dorms, and a simple and fairly cheap solution. One soon learns after consulting professionals, however, that it’s important to keep in mind that these are not the only ways to fix the problem.

“There are so many different solutions, it’s unreal,” said Lloyd Chester, a sales associate at The Home Depot in Champaign. “Every situation is a little different.”

Problem:

Cold air keeps seeping through your window.

Solution:

Buy a window insulation kit. The kits come with shrink film sheets and a roll of double-faced tape. Use the tape around the outer edge of the window frame and apply the plastic sheet to the opposite side of the tape. Make sure the plastic is attached smoothly. Then, use a hair dryer to seal the film over the window by moving it slowly over the plastic until all the wrinkles are gone. Be careful not to touch the hair dryer to the plastic, however, as the plastic will stick to it

Problem:

All the warm air from the apartment escapes underneath the door into the hallway.

Solution:

A door sweep can be put in place or screwed into the floor. Simply measure the width of the door and cut the sweep to fit to it. Then, position the door sweep underneath the bottom of the door and, if needed, screw it into place.

Problem:

There’s a draft in the apartment but no obvious source that it is coming from.

Solution:

It might be coming through an outlet or even light switch cover, depending on how well the walls are insulated. Standard switch and outlet sealers claim to reduce heat loss and drafts from one room to another. Unscrew the cover plate, place the fire retardant sealer in position, and replace the cover. (Please use the kind of intelligence that got you into the University though, and don’t stick the screwdriver in the outlet, as you will obviously be electrocuted.)

Problem:

Holiday lights are a great way to show Christmas spirit, but the electrical bill at the end of the month could rival the one Tim Allen received after decorating his roof on Home Improvement.

Solution:

An outdoor timer helps to conserve energy (and save money) by automatically turning the lights on or off at the specific times designated. Most timers run for two-hour increments and additionally have a full night setting that turns off as the sun rises.