Thoughtful gifts that won’t break the bank

Kristy Shaulis, a freshman in Media, poses with her inexpensive homemade Christmas presents, including cookies for Dad, coupons for Grandma and a mix CD for a good friend. Erica Magda

By Kristin Shaulis

For Mom: Her home cooked meals could be considered one of the best parts about the holidays, especially those desserts. That’s why making a recipe box could be a perfect gift for Mom. Most local craft stores sell inexpensive wooden boxes perfect for holding all the tastes of Christmas.For Mom:

Her home cooked meals could be considered one of the best parts about the holidays, especially those desserts. That’s why making a recipe box could be a perfect gift for Mom. Most local craft stores sell inexpensive wooden boxes perfect for holding all the tastes of Christmas. Buy some paint too (usually only about $1 per color) and decorate it with something festive or a design you know Mom will love. Then, copy down some of your most beloved recipes and place them in the box (a sure way to guarantee she’ll make those yummy brownies you’ve been craving!).

For a Best Friend:

Remember that time you took a road trip with your BFF and jammed out to the Backstreet Boys? Or ended up stuck at a really bad party, and the only relief was the DJ? Well, this present is sure to bring back some of those great memories. Buy a blank CD (the typical cost ranges from $2-7 depending on how many you buy) and make a mix of all the songs that remind you of that friend who has always been there for you. It’s sure to bring back to life some of your most memorable moments.

For Dad:

For the last 19 years of your life, he’s gotten golf balls, ties, fishing lures or new socks for every holiday involving presents. This year, get Dad something different, not to mention cheaper and tastier. Find a good recipe and make him his favorite dessert. From cookies to brownies to fudge, there are a million different possibilities. If you’re family isn’t big on traditional recipes, there are hundreds of recipe sites on the Internet, including allrecipes.com or MyRecipes.com. After baking, find a holiday tin to put the dessert in and wrap with ribbon.

For Grandma:

Who doesn’t love her? Whether she’s the sweetest lady you’ve ever met or the grumpy one who complains about everything, every grandma deserves a little bit of holiday cheer. Channel your inner kid and make a coupon book for her out of some construction paper. Things any student could offer to do include: taking down the Christmas lights, going grocery shopping for her or taking her out to a movie. Using a hole puncher and some ribbon, tie the coupons together along with a gift tag. Who would’ve thought the chores you probably would’ve gotten roped into doing anyway could double as a Christmas present?