Parkland students start new clothing line

By Samantha Wagner

While many college students are working toward degrees and padding resumes, preparing for the ever looming real world that they’ve heard so much about, some are starting to take action. That is exactly what Kim Schlottach, 19, and Adam Karch, 22, are doing.

The two full-time Parkland students started their first clothing line, A Klothing Company, last year, but it closed in the winter. After their first attempts, they tried again and have been working on their new line, League Limited available at The Board Boutique, 702 S. Neil St. in Champaign, since then.

It has been difficult for them to expand beyond T-shirts. While they are interested in designing other types of clothing, cost-wise, it has been complicated.

“As of right now we’re sticking to T-shirts,” Schlottach said. “Eventually, we’re planning on making hats, but we’re on a college student budget.”

Most of the line’s T-shirts cost around $25, Schlottach said.

“We’re trying to be really exclusive,” Schlottach said.

They will only make 30 to 40 of each shirt. They plan on adding to the idea of limited availability by including the number of each shirt on the tag.

“Even though (a T-shirt) is cool, knowing that there are 30,000 more … nobody wants it,” Schlottach said. “Nothing is more awkward than wearing the same thing as someone else.”

For Schlottach, though, the business venture is not about the money.

“It’s just for fun right now,” he said. “I really want to make it something to call my own.”

Schlottach and Karch describe their clothes as trendy.

The two young men work together, sharing the immense responsibility of having their own clothing line. Karch handles more of the business tasks and works with graphics and Web design. Schlottach works more on the public relations side, working to get League Limited recognized.

The duo is talking to stores in California and Chicago that are showing interest in their product.

Although they are having fun, they have come across several difficult situations. Aside from the initial failure of A Klothing Company, it has been a struggle to balance the many other things going on in their lives.

“We both work full-time jobs, we both are full-time students, and (Adam) has a full-time girlfriend,” Schlottach said.

Keeping up with League Limited can be hard, but they’re doing their best to make it work.

“I am really putting a lot of time into this to make sure everything is legit,” Schlottach said.

The League Limited Web site, www.leagueltd.com, is still in development, but their clothing line will be available for online shoppers soon. A release party for their new products is scheduled at The Board Boutique for May 16.