Taste of Champaign-Urbana kicks off Friday

With the weather finally warming up and the official start of summer just days away, the Champaign Park District is gearing up for one of its biggest and most entertaining weekends of the summer. The Taste of Champaign-Urbana is an event the whole family can enjoy. Located at West Side Park, 400 W. University Ave., the event will be held all weekend long, starting Friday evening and running until dark on Sunday night.

This event isn’t just the average carnival. With the live music selection on Friday, featuring bands such as Brat Pack, an 80s cover band, and Doko Benjo for those blues fans, it will be impossible to be disappointed.

Bands, speakers, musicians and storytellers will be spread across three entertainment stations, so there is definitely plenty to choose from.

Saturday will feature a local Zimbabwean group, Mhondoro, from Champaign, along with country singer Dayna Malow. The fun continues until Sunday evening, with acoustic and folk groups closing out the night.

While music will be a major part of the festivities, that is just the beginning. The Fun Zone area will house “Game Show Gurus,” a TV game show contest which will test festival-goers and stir up fun for all ages.

A festival would not be complete without everyone’s favorite foods. From Blues Barbeque and pizza, or Coldstone Creamery and Karen’s Cheesecake, attendees’ taste buds will be satisfied by the Taste of C-U’s large array of bites to eat. With nearly 27 food vendors to choose from, no one will have to go home with an empty stomach.

With the weekend creeping up and the sunshine still in the sky, many local residents may take advantage of the warm weather at the Taste of C-U. From pony rides for the kids to artwork for the adults, it will be loads of fun all weekend long. Tickets can be purchased at the park upon arrival for only $5 and will allow you plenty of chances to eat, be entertained or just have fun at the event. So don’t miss out on a chance to get a small taste of many flavors of entertainment that Champaign-Urbana has to offer at the Taste of C-U.