Students think new Macbook is better than iPad

Bigger may not always be better, and slow and steady doesn’t win the race.

With an upgrade in almost every aspect, Apple’s newest version of the Macbook Air proves to be a step up from previous models.

The new Macbook Air is designed to compete with other netbooks on the market.

Released on Oct. 20, the Macbook Air is Apple’s smallest computer to date. Its small size, measuring at 0.11 inches at its thinnest, is a feature that draws many in.

“It’s faster than my very old computer. It’s very portable and light and super thin,” said Cory Levy, freshman in LAS. “(It’s more about the size) and it has everything I need like portability.”

Apple also released the iPad earlier this year, and many doubted that the Macbook Air could compete with its portability. However, the Macbook Air has certain features that the iPad doesn’t.

“The Macbook Air, is a step up from the iPad because it’s an actual computer. Whereas the iPad, a lot of people say, is just a big iPod Touch,” said Thomas Almeida, senior in FAA and sales representative at the Apple Store. “The Macbook Air is an actual computer that you can run all the applications that you have on the other computers and it’s still a small package.”

The Macbook Air now has a solid state drive, giving the Macbook Air flash memory as opposed to previous models where it only had a spinning disc drive, Almeida said. This means that the Macbook Air has a better memory capacity. The newest model of the Macbook Air is the netbook that the original was supposed to be, Almeida said.

“The problem with the previous model was that it was really expensive for the features that you got,” Almeida said. “It didn’t have a very good processor; it was $1300 for the base model. Now you can get a Macbook Air for under $1000. Before, they were trying to make it an actual Macbook. The new Macbook Airs are more like netbooks.”

However, the Macbook Air does not have certain features, including no backlight for the keyboard and no disc drive.

Although it has a full-sized keyboard, unlike other netbooks, the lack of a disc drive may pose as a problem.

“It doesn’t run discs, so that would be a huge problem for a lot of different programs,” said Erin Davis, senior in LAS. “If you’re going to spend that much money, I’d rather spend it on something that would be able to do everything that I would need it to.”

The Macbook Air is really supposed to be a secondary computer though, much like a netbook, to carry around and do basic tasks, said Almeida.

“It’s not going to be able to handle some more graphics oriented software that requires a faster, more powerful processor,” he said.

To Levy, who does not need much from his own laptop, the Macbook Air is perfect for all his computer needs.

“I hardly use my CD drive and I hardly use the extra stuff the Macbook Pro and regular Macbook have, so I don’t see myself encountering any problems,” Levy said. “I think it’s worth the money.”