Champaign-Urbana celebrates ‘Greatest Midwest Food Town’

Patrons browse farmers stands at the historic First Street Farmers Market on Thursday, Sep. 1, 2011.

By Luke Cooper, News Reporter

Champaign-Urbana will hold a celebration in honor of the community’s win as Midwest Living’s “Greatest Midwest Food Town” on Sept. 9 at three different locations throughout the community.  

The pop-up events will be hosted by Midwest Living at the following: Urbana’s Market at the Square from 9 to 11 a.m. with a joint proclamation by Urbana Mayor Diane Marlin and Champaign Mayor Deborah Frank Feinen; The Blind Pig Brewery from 1 to 3 p.m.; Grange Grove from 4:3o to 6:30 p.m.

Each event will offer musical performances, free food samples from local restaurants, giveaways and raffle prizes.

Midwest Living announced a list of the twelve most delicious food towns in the Midwest in May, which included Champaign-Urbana. The list was then used for a contest series in which the magazine’s readers voted for their favorite food town.

Champaign-Urbana was announced as the contest’s winner in June and will receive a feature within the magazine’s September/October issue.