Pets provide comforting campus experience

Bentley%2C+a+miniature+Schnauzer+owned+by+Pilar+Neumann%2C+sits+on+the+ground.+Neumann+said+Bentley+has+brought+joy+to+her+life.+

Photo Courtesy of Pilar Neumann

Bentley, a miniature Schnauzer owned by Pilar Neumann, sits on the ground. Neumann said Bentley has brought joy to her life.

By Roxana Madani, Staff writer

Pilar Neumann, senior in ACES, did not expect her life on campus to change as much as it did the moment she first met her dog, Bentley.

Neumann said her miniature schnauzer constantly brings joy and pure happiness into her life. She also said her adorable dog has brought her a sense of purpose.

“It really does get you into a routine of things and kind of jumpstart(s) your day, get(s) you out of bed and (motivates you) to take care of something and actually take care of yourself because something is now relying on you,” Neumann said.

Neumann is one of many University students who have added pet owner to their list of college life.

In terms of assistance with care, Neumann said there is a dog daycare facility in downtown Champaign called The Dog Den that offers overnight boarding if she needs to be somewhere for a longer period of time without Bentley.

Neumann also said there are some Facebook and Reddit groups that connect those who have dogs on campus. She uses them in case she needs to find someone to help watch or walk her dog.

The major hindrance for Neumann was finding a way to help Bentley become more accustomed to being alone while she’s at school or work.

“I’m a little more tied to my apartment,” she said. “I’ve had to spend a bit of money dealing with his isolation issues and having to take him to daycare, and I’ll admit that I don’t always want to wake up in the morning to take him out.” Another issue with pets that Neumann brought to light is cost.

She said she has pet insurance for her dog, which she believes is a good option, especially for college students who may not have a lot of money in their savings accounts.

She said she pays about $40 per month and it covers about 90 percent of Bentley’s medical expenses after a $250 deductible per injury and illness.

“I always push people, especially our age, to get pet insurance because if Bentley were to need a $3,000 surgery, I can’t swing that right now, but I can swing the $250 and then get reimbursed or have the insurance company pay the veterinarian directly,” Neumann said.

However, she said the pros of having a pet definitely outweigh the cons. Pets, she said, really help bring joy and happiness into the lives of people.

For Neumann, owning a pet allows her to reprioritize so she can become more responsible and learn how to analyze things in an adult manner.

Neumann is not the only student who lives with pets in an apartment or house.

Kerriann Bailey, junior in LAS, said her cat, Kilian, contributes to her happiness while living on campus.

“There aren’t any inconveniences, and we’ve had no problem with other animals,” Bailey said.

Bailey said the best part about living with a cat is that she’s never alone. Kilian keeps her busy and never lets her sit and be sad. She said he is always nearby and acts playful and loving with her.

Shayla Mille, sophomore in LAS, said the most positive aspect of having her bunny, Ollie, is having something to come home to.

Mille is much happier coming home to her apartment knowing that she is not alone. She finds a source of comfort from her bunny.

However, she said having a pet does come with some drawbacks.

“It is added responsibility to an already demanding college life,” Mille said.

She said the biggest downside is the smell of her pet. She needs to remember to keep her bunny’s cage in tip-top condition so the smell does not affect her own apartment’s overall cleanliness.

According to Neumann and Bailey, having a pet around helps students become more comfortable in their apartments because they no longer feel lonely; they thoroughly enjoy spending as much time as possible with their pets.