Students share unique study habits

By Sarah O’Beirne, Staff Writer

Falling 12,000 feet in the air doesn’t seem like the typical form of studying you’d see on a scholarly website or article about how to ace an exam.

But for Anirudh Nandella, this is how he prepares to cram for exams, and he swears by it.

Nandella, freshman in Engineering, said skydiving gives him an adrenaline rush that allows him to really focus when he studies, as compared to other, more conventional learning styles.

“When I normally study, I get distracted a lot,” Nandella said. “But when I’m there (at the drop zone), I’m really motivated to do work.”

He brings his backpack to the drop zone, where he studies while waiting for the other divers in the Flying Illini skydiving club to take their time, which he participates in regularly.

Nandella said he is positive that he passed Calculus 3 due to his intense focus after jumping thousands of feet in the air.

“After I get that adrenaline high, I’m ready to do some work,” Nandella said. “It’s my little peak. For the thirty minutes to an hour after my drop, I’m very productive.”

Nandella plans on jumping at least one to two times before finals, to take advantage of that burst of academic efficiency.

“Every jumper feels the same way; we’re all productive after,” Nandella said. “It feels like it does after a run; you get (that) runner’s high.”

Aside from helping him study, Nandella said skydiving has improved his time management skills as well.

“It reminds me that I only have so much time to study,” Nandella said. “I’ll spend time having fun and time doing work. I tell myself, ‘Get your work done, let it sink in your head and then rest.’”

Having a clear mind for Nandella is one of the most important factors to his success.

For Allison Wuller, freshman in LAS, all of her study habits involve the number seven in some way, shape or form.

“I like to tap my left ring finger on the desk seven times,” Wuller said. “I have to count my last seven steps to whatever desk I’m working at and, generally, I like to take a seven-minute pre-study break after I sit at a desk, but before I actually start working.”

Wuller said her routine of sevens began in high school when she had seven classes and would tap her finger to remember the homework she had for each class.

“So, the first tap would be for English class and I’d think, ‘Okay, I have to write a paper,’” Wuller said. “Second tap would be gym class, and I’d remind myself to not forget gym shoes tomorrow.”

Zachary Silver, sophomore in LAS, follows an even more specific routine when it comes to studying for big tests.

Silver religiously studies in the same cubicle located on the top floor of the Main Stacks, which he discovered with one of his fraternity brothers last year.

The Main Stacks are located beyond the information desk in the Main Library. Students are required to show their iCard before entering.

“It’s a bit creepy, but I get what I need to get done up there,” Silver said.

In addition to sitting at the same desk, Silver also listens to the same album, Blonde by Frank Ocean, on repeat.

“I was taking a math class last semester and wasn’t doing too well when I discovered this album,” Silver said.  “I listened to it while studying and did unbelievably well on the final, which saved my grade.”

Silver has been listening to the album out of superstition from that moment on.

“Since then, I’ve kind of had something telling me I’m not going to do well if I don’t study to Frank Ocean,” Silver said.

Silver also never studies with his shoes on, interestingly enough.

“I kind of like where my feet can breathe and I feel like when I’m studying and sitting (for a long time), it gets kind of sweaty,” Silver said.

With finals approaching, Silver plans on spending a lot of time in his sacred study spot.

“(I) never see another soul up there, which is really nice because you go to places like the Undergraduate Library and there’s no way you can find a desk anywhere,” Silver said. “It’s the best place to go study; completely quiet with no distractions.”