Local artists host Halloween art exhibition

Photo Courtesy of melissa mitchell

Pieces by Patience Anders (above) and Melissa Mitchell (right) are on display in Micthell’s art exhibition, “Haunted.” The display, which shows local art, is at the Lincoln Building in Champaign and will be open until Saturday.

By Anna Pevey, Staff Writer

Five flights up the Lincoln Building in Champaign, nestled in a corner studio, is ACME Elfworks Art Space.

Melissa Mitchell, a Champaign-based artist and the founder of ACME Elfworks, has been hosting exhibitions in her studio since 2017 as well as using the studio space in general for about nine years.

Her current exhibition, “Haunted,” focuses on the odd and the creepy things surrounding Halloween, which is being displayed until Saturday.

The studio itself is covered in art, such as paintings on wood, sculptures and different art pieces assembled by local artists.

“I’ve been creating art and have had an art-based mind my whole life, since I was young,” Mitchell said. “I think now that I have the ability and the space to host things like this, it has just made it so much more fun as an artist and as a member of the community.”

With this particular show, Mitchell attributes the Halloween attitude as her theme inspiration.

“I have always just liked Halloween,” she said. “This theme gives me an opportunity to have a fun gallery with equal public interest for the art. I am so grateful to have the opportunity to bring friends, old and new, along for the ride and invite new artists to showcase their work for this show and other shows I have hosted.”

Patience Anders is an Urbana-based artist whose work is incorporated into the exhibition.

“I just really appreciate, personally, the opportunity to participate in this show and be able to have people be able to enjoy the art,” Anders said.

While Champaign-Urbana is overflowing with artistic talent, some things can hold artists back.

Mitchell said the community does not have a lot of spaces for people to sell their art right now. She said she is glad to be an outlet to help people show off their work.

Photos Courtesy of melissa mitchell

The Halloween exhibit is something Anders is really excited for people to come see and experience. 

“I think these galleries are really cool to bring artists and people who appreciate art together within the community, but also, who doesn’t love a good Halloween theme?” Anders said. “It is a fun time of year for people. (It’s) fall and you get that nip in the air, people start thinking of Halloween and it getting spookier.”

Anders’ art, placed along the walls in the studio, focuses on tributes to authors and themes that revolve around Halloween or creepy writing.

Anders graduated from the University with a degree in interior design; however, her career path has since changed. She said now if she could go back, she would probably be an English major due to her love of literature. That is why so much of her art is literature-based.

Shows that Mitchell hosts in her studio often attract people of all ages.

Jennifer Buchanan, a resident of Urbana, is a big fan of ACME Elfworks and Mitchell’s work.

“I am not an artist; I would say I’m a big fan,” she said.  “I don’t do art myself, but I love seeing art and I appreciate people that make art.”

Buchanan went to the “Haunted” gallery recently with her mother, who is 83.

“My mother and I went to the studio and really enjoyed it and enjoyed the art that we saw,” Buchanan said. “I have loved going to the things Melissa hosts for a while now and just love the studio and the art. Especially the doll head art that she makes.”

The architectural features of the Lincoln Building where the studio and art space is located come up frequently in conversation, in addition to the actual work done by ACME Elfworks and “Haunted.”

“Every surface, every corner has something interesting that catches the eye,” Anders said.  “The building itself is creepy, but in a cool way. I think it looks pretty similar to when it was first built. Melissa’s studio space is so interesting, so homey.”

Whether it be the building or the art itself, the “Haunted” exhibition is a sight to see for anyone who comes to it.

For artists like Anders, it’s been an awesome experience.

“Art, for me, is my escape, my greatest escape,” Anders said. “I can work on my art and all the troubles in the world fall away, so it’s super nice to have a space where people can showcase the things that make them happy, while making other people happy.”