7 ways to pumpkin spice up your fall

By Koumae Adams, Contributing Writer

As leaves transformed into vibrant colors before their decay, signs of fall settled into the environment. And as students acquire more layers and length of clothing, the way they spend their time changes.

It is no longer desirable to eat a popsicle outside or to jump into a cold pool under the scorching hot sun. However, fall brings many opportunities. With education on many students’ minds, it could be beneficial to take a break. Students have plenty of ways to celebrate the changing season and get into the fall mood. 

1. Grab a spine-chilling book and read on the Quad

Haunting books are great to read during fall to submerge the mind in the Halloween mood. Whether during day or night, reading on the Main Quad can be a great way to get out and see the colorful trees and leaves.

For those looking for a spooky read this fall, there are plenty of great books to choose from. A few suggestions are:

“A Head Full of Ghosts” by Paul Tremblay

“Final Girl Support Group” by Grady Hendrix 

“Mexican Gothic” by Silvia Moreno-Garcia

2. Exchange ghost stories  

For many people, there is a shared experience of crowding around in a circle with friends to tell eerie, terrifying stories. Whether the stories are personal or pulled from the internet, exchanging tales that will give others goosebumps is a tried and true fall tradition. Students can gather in a cozy spot on the Quad during the night with snacks and blankets for a chilling experience with friends. 

3. Decorate a door or place of residence with fall or Halloween-themed decor

Decorating a room with fake spider webs or autumn leaves will not only bring the fall aesthetic to a student’s living space, but it can help transform an environment that will spread the festive spirit with neighbors. 

A decorated door is also a great conversation starter.

Students can find freaky and fun decorations online, or at places like the Spirit Halloween in Champaign. A small hanging pendant or tiny skeleton can really spice up a living space.

4. Visit a pumpkin patch

No fruit screams fall more than pumpkins. Whether it’s to make a hot soup to warm up your body or to creatively carve out a design, pumpkins are an essential part of fall.

Students can find a pumpkin patch to explore at Curtis Orchard in Champaign. Curtis Orchard also offers alternative activity options that range from apple picking to a goat petting zoo. 

5. Make a fall-themed playlist, and take a scenic walk around campus

To destress and take a studious mind someplace else, creating a fall-themed playlist and going on a walk can be a great help. Make sure to bundle up and carry an umbrella just in case. One can enjoy the walk with a nice playlist and also make a pit stop at Espresso Royale or Caffe Paradiso and try the latest items on their fall menus. 

6. Have a fall movie night or a show binge night

Grab a cozy blanket and a cup of tea to escape into a cozy night. Students have countless options of shows and movies to watch, ranging from spooky to cozy.  

Spooky movies:  

“The Conjuring” 

“Friday the 13th” 

“The VVitch”

Spooky shows: 

“American Horror Story” 

“The Haunting of Hill House”  

“Only Murders in the Building” 

Cozy movies: 

“It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown” 

“The Nightmare Before Christmas”

“Hocus Pocus”

Cozy TV shows: 

“Gilmore Girls” 

“October Road” 

“This is Us”

7. Visit a corn maze

Students can visit the Curtis Orchard corn maze on weekends this October to explore the winding paths and get lost in the twists and turns.

Vibha Iyengar, sophomore in ACES and member of the RSO “October Lovers,” said she strongly recommends students visit a corn maze for fall fun.

“I’m from California, so we don’t have corn mazes, so I think it’s really fun,” Iyengar said. “Especially getting to do it for the first time with my friends.”