Champaign’s traffic patterns altered for Illinois Marathon

Traffic patterns throughout the city of Champaign will be altered for the Illinois Marathon on April 11.

Parking restrictions will begin at 1 a.m. and end at 6 p.m. and all restricted zones are marked with yellow signs, according to a press release. Vehicles parked in the restricted zones may be towed, starting at 2 a.m. on Saturday. For tow company information, contact the Champaign Police Department.

Partial and full road closures will occur along the marathon route throughout the day.

Full Road Closures (All times are approximate)

• First Street between Hazelwood and Green (7:00 to 9:00 a.m.) and between White Street and Springfield Avenue (8:30 a.m. to noon)
  • Green Street between First Street and Wright Street (7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.)
  • Wright Street between Green Street and John Street (8:00 to 9:00 a.m.)
  • John Street between Wright Street and Sixth Street (8:00 to 9:00 a.m.) and between McKinley Avenue and Crescent Drive (8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.)
  • Fourth Street between Peabody Drive and Kirby Avenue (8:00 to 9:00 a.m.)
  • Kirby Avenue between First Street and Fourth Street (6:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.)

Partial Road Closure (All times are approximate)

• Sixth Street between John Street and Pennsylvania Avenue (8:00 to 9:00 a.m.)
  • Main Street / Church Street between Walnut Street and State Street (8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.) open to local traffic only
  • Westbound lane of Sangamon Drive between Crescent Drive and Kenwood Road (8:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.)
  • Hessel Boulevard / Stadium Drive between Randolph Street and First Street (8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.)

Temporary stop signs will be setup at the following intersections:

• Walnut and Logan
  • James Street and University Avenue
  • Elmwood Drive / Chicago Avenue and Springfield Avenue
  • Chicago Avenue and Green Street
  • Duncan Road and Sangamon Drive
  • Kirby Avenue and Maynard Drive
  • Duncan Road and Stoneybrook Drive
  • Prospect Avenue and Armory Street