Illinois Disciples Foundation offers new grant for nonprofit organizations

By Emily Herbick

This April, the Illinois Disciples Foundation is offering a new social justice grant program, allowing nonprofit organizations to apply for up to $50,000 to fund various programs.

Jen Tayabji, executive director of the organization, said the grant will be geared toward groups that focus on social justice issues.

These issues include health care, economic justice, education and anti-war and peace movements.

The Illinois Disciples Foundation is a nonprofit organization and one of the oldest ministries on campus, Tayabji said.

Last year, it moved from its long-standing location at 610 E. Springfield Ave. to a smaller office at 44 E. Main St. in downtown Champaign.

The extra money earned from selling the previous office was added to the foundation’s endowment and helps fund donations to local social justice organizations.

“We hope to improve the lives of people who live in Champaign-Urbana through these organizations that are doing good things,” Tayabji said.

She added that since the economic downturn, many nonprofit organizations are experiencing financial setbacks and losing their funding.

Tom Green, Illinois Disciples Foundation board member, said this new fund will help local organizations maintain themselves and create new social justice programs despite the economic crisis.

“Given the current economy, nonprofit social justice organizations are suffering more than anyone else,” he added.

“The fact that we‘re able to provide them with money now is very important.”

Tayabji said she hopes that the foundation will be able to sustain the grant for multiple years, but the process will be evaluated based on how the first year goes.

She added that the organization tries to focus its efforts on the local area before branching out.

“We wanted to locally help nonprofits be able to continue what they are doing despite losses in funding they may have had in the last few years,” she added.

Tayabji said nonprofit organizations in Champaign County will be given first priority when the grant money is allocated because the Illinois Disciples

Foundation wants to give back to the community.

Central and downstate locations will receive consideration next, followed by other Illinois locations.

The foundation is looking for established nonprofit organizations that are charitable in nature and are addressing social justice issues and promoting change in the community, she added.

Champaign County Health Care Consumers, a consumer advocacy group aiming to change health care policies, is interested in applying for the social justice grant, said Allison Jones.

Jones is a community organizer for the group and Illinois Disciples Foundation board member.

“Any new source of funding focused on local activism and local social justice work is helpful in (these) really tough economic times,” Jones said.

“It’s nice when a community supports itself.”