Urbana-Champaign Senate approves of committee members

By Bridget Mulcahy

The Committee on Committees presented its slate of recommended nominees to the Senate at the meeting, and then opened the floor up to members for on-the-spot nominations.

Of the approximately 100 recommended nominees, only one on-the-spot nomination was made. The nomination was on behalf of George Francis, professor of mathematics, to serve on the Information Technologies Committee, on which he had previously served. The nomination was voted on and approved by the present Senate members.

While presenting the Senate with the nominees, Kim Graber, chair of the Committee on Committees, urged female staff members to chair committees.

Graber also stressed that the Committee on Committees try to maintain balance in terms of gender, ethnicity and colleges.

Also at the meeting, three faculty senator nominations for memberships on the University Senate Conference went unchallenged. James Barrett, professor of history; Roy Campbell, professor of computer science; and Francis were elected to the University Senate Conference, a representative body composed of members from all three Illinois campuses.

“They alternate meeting on different campuses and then meet with President B. Joe White to address concerns on campus as a whole; Global Campus for example,” said Graber.

The Senate also held an election for one Urbana-Champaign University Senate Conference member to serve on the Senate Executive Committee, voted by on present Senate members. Nick Burbules, former chair of the Senate Executive Committee, was elected.

Burbules, who was thanked for his service with acknowledgement from Senate member Joyce Tolliver, said that the Senate strives for “majority will.”

“It’s not the opinion you have when you walk in the door, but your opinion as debates and discussions prevail,” he said.

Burbules also added the Senate has worked hard to simplify and streamline their agenda to take care of concerns more efficiently and thoughtfully.

Right before the meeting’s adjournment, final ballots were cast to elect committee chairs to serve on the Senate Executive Committee.

After the preliminary and final ballot the following people were elected: Jeffrey Dawson, chair of the Academic Freedom and Tenure Committee; Alex Scheeline, chair of the Library Committee; and Thomas Overbye, chair of the Campus Operations Committee.