C-U community reacts to Prop 8 decision

The California Supreme Court’s decision to uphold a voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage Tuesday is a setback to LGBT communities everywhere said Leslie Morrow, director of the LGBT resource center at the University.

“It’s not at all what I wanted to hear,” Morrow said. “It’s the decision that was expected, but obviously it’s frustrating.”

Last May, the state Supreme Court ruled it unconstitutional to deny same-sex couples the right to be married. In November, a statewide vote passed Proposition 8, banning same-sex marriage. During the time between the legalization of same-sex marriage and the passage of Proposition 8, an estimated 18,000 same-sex couples married. These couples will be allowed to stay legally wed, the court said in its decision.

Morrow said it is an important distinction that the court ruled on an issue of amending the California constitution, not on whether they agree with same-sex marriage.

“It is not a ruling that basically states same-sex marriage is immoral,” Morrow said.

Morrow called the decision a “small defeat,” but emphasized that the fight will continue.

Members of the LGBT community and supporters from the University and the surrounding community will rally in protest of the decision in downtown Champaign from 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. at the intersection of Main and Neil Streets in front of the Susan B. Anthony monument, Morrow said.

“Prop 8 has been a great rallying cry for people in the LGBT community,” Morrow said.