UI president could have new job description

The Urbana-Champaign Senate will meet Monday at 3:10 p.m. in the Levis Faculty Center to vote on revisions of two statutes regarding the University president job description and academic unit reorganization.

The first revision discusses the wording of the president’s job description, which currently describes the position as the “chief officer.”

“Now they want to add the word ‘executive’ to clarify the president’s authority,” said William Maher, chair of University Statutes and Senate Procedures for U-C Senate.

Maher said the term “chief executive officer” is seen in titles for other deans and heads of offices on campus.

Joyce Tolliver, chair of the Senate Executive Committee, said the revision was proposed because of the search for a new University president.

The other statute revision being voted on would clarify faculty voting.

If the University had to reorganize an academic unit, there must be a faculty vote by secret ballot, Tolliver said.

“The basic issue that arose is what form of advice would have to go into changing departments and colleges,” Maher said.

Tolliver said that the revision would also clarify who would be in charge of a faculty member seeking a promotion or tenure who is part of two or more departments.

He said the revision to the statute has been approved last spring by the U-C Senate. The University’s legal council office suggested changing a few words, Maher added. Now, the revision must go through the senates again with the new wording.

Another item on the agenda is discussion about the Instructor and Course Evaluation System form, or ICES, said Abbas Aminmansour, educational policy chair for the senate.

ICES forms are passed out at the end of every semester to students in order to evaluate their professors and teaching assistants.

“The idea is that Center for Teaching Excellence wants to move ICES evaluations online entirely,” he said.

However, statistics show there is less student participation in filling out evaluation forms for classes who have moved the entire process online, he said.

Tolliver said the senate will evaluate on Monday the pros and cons of switching ICES to a completely online format.