City of Champaign council representative to step down

Dave Johnson will be stepping down from his position as District 5 representative on Champaign City Council following the Council meeting on Tuesday, March 2, 2010.

Johnson, who has served his southwest home district since April 2009, will be stepping down due to a permanent move to Cleveland, Ohio for professional reasons.

“I have lived in Champaign for 42 years and will dearly miss my hometown, serving my district as a City Council Member, and working with exceptional and collegial group of colleagues on the Champaign City Council,” said Johnson. “I have richly enjoyed serving the residents of District 5 and working with the outstanding City of Champaign staff, however, I have a remarkable life-changing career opportunity that will allow me to fulfill many of my professional and personal goals.”

Johnson has been working in marketing and public relations at the University of Illinois for 22 years, serving 17 years in the Division of Intercollegiate Athletics and for the past four and a half years as the Assistant Dean for Communications at the College of Law.

He will begin his new role in a public relations capacity for the Cleveland Medical Mart on Monday, March 15.

The process to be used in selecting a replacement for Johnson will be discussed by the Champaign City Council at a Study Session following their regular meeting on March 2, 2010.

Any individual interested in the position must have lived in the City of Champaign for at least one year and be a resident of District 5.

The replacement selected by the City Council will serve until the consolidated election in 2011, at which time voters will elect a Council Member to complete the remaining two years of Johnson’s four year term.