Weekend fires prompt American Red Cross to further promote fire safety

The American Red Cross is spreading the word on preventative measures in case of fires after two incidents in Champaign and Vermilion Counties.

Erin Miller, communications coordinator of the American Red Cross Central Illinois Chapter, said the first fire occurred Friday at 3 p.m. in Champaign. The fire was caused by an electrical problem and no family members were home at the time of the fire, Miller stated.

The second fire occurred in Danville on Sunday at 8 p.m. The fire was caused by grease catching fire in the kitchen and spreading to the ceiling, Miller stated.

“We assisted the families involved in the fires over the weekend,” Miller stated. “We provided food and shelter.”

Miller said the American Red Cross has been working with the local fire departments.

“We get a call from the fire chief or dispatch,” Miller said. “They let us know there’s a problem and they need assistance.”

Miller said there has been quite a few fires recently prompting the American Red Cross to create preparedness tips on their website for the public.

“The causes of the fires have ranged from air conditioning fires to box fan fires so we’ve just been trying to get information out to the community,” Miller said.

Tips regarding fire safety and precautions that can be taken can be found on the American Red Cross website.