Urbana mayor declares Oct. 6 Walk to School Day

Urbana will celebrate International Walk to School Day Oct. 6 as declared by Mayor Laurel Prussing at Monday’s regular meeting.

Concerns were also brought to the attention of the city council regarding the Emerald Ash Borer, a beetle that has been infesting trees across the Midwest. Currently, the only known cure is the removal of unhealthy or damaged ash trees. The federal government is currently testing parasitic insects to see if they have any effect on the Ash Borer. Because the beetle is spreading mostly through the movement of firewood, it is recommended that citizens buy their firewood locally.

As of a plan initiated in 2007 by the Illinois Department of Agriculture, the city plans to continue to remove declining ash trees, replant and diversify tree types and educate forestry and landscape staff.

Both of the one-year contract renewals for the Local 1147 of the International Association of Fire Fighters and the American Federation of State, County and

Municipal Employees were approved, freezing their wages for this one-year period.

“I think it’s a very fair agreement,” Prussing said.

At the conclusion of the meeting, Anthony Cobb was officially appointed by the mayor as assistant police chief, replacing recently appointed police Chief Patrick Connolly. Cobb was not present at the meeting.