Police Blotter 10/28/2010

• Criminal damage to property was reported at the Armory Building, 505 E. Armory Ave., Champaign shortly before 3 a.m. Wednesday. According to the report, a window was broken at the building, causing an estimated $500 in damage.
  • A 23-year-old male from Tinley Park, Ill., was arrested for aggravated battery at 2:08 a.m. Wednesday in parking garage C-10, 510 E. Daniel St., Champaign. According to the report, the suspect started a fight with a man and his girlfriend, and battered the man.
  • A 22-year-old female from Urbana was arrested on an outstanding warrant and for having a suspended driver’s license near Sixth and Chalmers streets at 2:09 a.m. Wednesday. According to the report, police stopped her vehicle for running a stop sign at the intersection.
  • A University student was battered by an unknown person who also attempted to steal money from him shortly before 8 p.m. Tuesday at Grainger Engineering Library and Information Center, 1301 W. Springfield Ave., Urbana. According to the report, the victim was using the first floor ATM machine when someone came up behind him as if he were trying to see his PIN. The unknown suspect then tried to take the $50 the victim had just withdrawn, but the student grabbed it back. The suspect then grabbed the victim’s shirt and threw him up against the wall.
  • Theft from a motor vehicle was reported across from the School of Social Work Building, 1010 W. Nevada St after 4 p.m. Tuesday. According to the report, a window valued at $100 was missing from a car parked on the north side of Nevada Street. The car had tool marks on it that made it appear that someone carefully cut around the window to gain entry to the vehicle.
  • An 18-year-old University student from Urbana was arrested for aggravated domestic battery Tuesday afternoon at Carr Hall, 1001 W. Pennsylvania Ave., Urbana. According to the report, he was arrested following a fight with his girlfriend that occurred earlier in the day.
  • A bicycle valued at $200 was reported stolen Monday from a rack outside Forbes Hall, 101 E. Gregory Drive, Champaign. According to the report, the victim said someone told him he saw a man and woman cut off the bike lock and ride away on the bicycle at about 3 a.m. last Friday.
  • Fraud was reported after 3 p.m. Monday at the credit union office in the Illini Union, 1401 W. Green St., Urbana. According to the report, a women told police that a check she’d written to her landlord had been tampered with and used to withdraw funds from her account. The rent check was for less than $500 and someone changed the check so that it was made out to another individual for more than $900, which resulted in her checking account becoming overdrawn.
  • Criminal damage to property was reported at Gregory and Fourth streets in Champaign at 2:35 a.m. Thursday. According to the report, a University student broke a Champaign-Urbana Mass Transit District bus window valued at $165 following a verbal altercation with a bus driver and two passengers. The incident was reported around noon on Monday.

Compiled by Brendan Denison