Champaign city council to discuss plans for undeveloped areas

Champaign City Council will convene Tuesday evening for a study session to discuss a housing study survey and plans for undeveloped areas in Champaign.

The planning department will present an update on a plan called Champaign Tomorrow, a comprehensive plan outlining growth and development in Champaign over the next 20 years.

This will be the third time the council will be briefed on the plan, the first time occurring in 2007.

Many good things are expected to come of the plan including neighborhood improvements, efficient transportation, and improvements in environmental sustainability.

Public input on the project has been encouraged via a website, www.Champaigntomorrow.com.

The website provides many different kinds of information, including strengths and weaknesses of neighborhoods, existing sewer, fire and arterial road capacity, and information on different kinds of development.

The plan is intended to be a policy guide for future development in Champaign, it will also serve as a future land use map, said Lacey Rains-Lowe, city planner.

The final draft of the project will be in December and it’s slated for final adoption in February 2011.

The housing study survey outlines the housing market in Champaign and addresses housing needs in Champaign.

Michael LaDue, council member district 2, said lack of appropriate housing has been a problem for transitioning families or individuals.

“If you’ve got money, we have plenty of housing; we don’t have housing for those that most need it,” said LaDue.

He said there is a need for single room occupancy housing for those transitioning out of homelessness.

The city council will convene Tuesday at 7pm in the Illinois Terminal, 4th floor city view room.