LAS dean slated to become acting provost

By Dan Farnham

College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Dean Jesse G. Delia has been selected for the position of acting provost and vice chancellor of academic affairs, according to a University press release. Delia’s appointment is pending approval by the University Board of Trustees, who will meet Thursday at the University’s Chicago campus.

Delia, a 33-year faculty member who has been dean of the college since 1994, would begin serving as the provost on Aug. 16. He will temporarily serve as provost while the University searches for a new chancellor.

Delia said he sees his appointment as an enormous opportunity to help fulfill the goals of the University. He will be replacing Richard Herman, who selected him for the position. The position became vacant after Herman became the interim chancellor of the University.

“Jesse is our senior dean, and his leadership of our largest and most diverse college over the last 10 years has demonstrated extraordinary administrative skill, leadership and commitment to the academic values of our institution,” Herman said in a press release.

Delia said he is honored by Herman’s confidence in him and looks forward to working with him during the University’s transition period.

In order to fill the soon-to-be vacant position of dean of LAS, Delia said he will be holding a series of consultations with some members of the LAS faculty over the next couple of weeks.