Quad packed despite heat

By Kate Gleason

The Quad was alive with energy and excitement Tuesday in celebration of Quad Day, the annual first week event.

More than 600 Registered Student Organizations (RSOs) on campus, as well as other community groups, not-for-profit organizations and University departments, set up booths and offered information on their various organizations.

Performance groups such as the Girls Next Door appeared on the Quad Stage, and refreshments were served along the walkways.

J. Brooks Moore, coordinator of Quad Day, said he was pleased with the turnout.

“I’m happy to see the weather didn’t scare anyone away,” he said. “We had 600 groups signed up and every last one showed up.”

After early morning showers, students attempted to keep cool in the humid weather – some using paper fans being given out and others using organizations’ handouts as fans.

Brooks said the rain from the night before raised some concern, but everyone involved was understanding.

“We really appreciate everyone’s flexibility,” he said. “Quad Day is a great way to get involved on campus, and when I hear people coming up to me telling me they’re having a great time, that’s when I know we’re doing something right.”

With so many booths, Quad Day had something for everyone.

Art Mitchell, senior in LAS, said he came to Quad Day to work the Association of Undergraduate Sociologists (AUS) booth.

Christa Weidler, Elizabeth Lyon and Ziao Wang, all second-year graduate students in LAS, ran the booth for the Geography Club, an organization that they said has about 30 graduate students and 20 undergraduate students involved.

“We’re trying to get people interested in geography,” Weidler said. “You don’t have to be a geography major to join – you just have to enjoy geography.”

Members of the Irish Illini were also present.

Sean Doyle, junior in LAS and the group’s president, said he hoped to get more people involved in planning different events for the upcoming year.

In addition to hosting activities such as bar scrambles, barn dances and happy hours, the Irish Illini also do philanthropy work, such as raising money and buying presents for needy children.

Carol Bobber, junior in ALS and president of the Kinesiology Student Coalition, said Quad Day is a great way to reach out to freshman and anyone else interested.

“We really want to get more people involved,” she said.

The Culinary Club booth was a popular spot.

“I like to eat,” said Hamsa Mahendranathan, freshman in LAS, as she approached the booth.

Mahendranathan picked up a number of flyers from various organizations and stopped to talk to a few but said the Culinary Club booth really attracted her because of her love of food.

Annie Murray, junior in ACES and president of the club, said that was a common response and that many people stopped by her booth to sign up to be on the group’s e-mail list.

“I’ve never met anyone who doesn’t love food,” she said.

Murray said the Culinary Club is not limited to food science majors but is open to anyone with a love of preparing and eating food.

“It’s a lot of fun,” she said. “We get local chefs to come give demonstrations, visit off-campus restaurants and have themed movie dinners.”

Rob Needham, senior in information sciences and president of Simpsonica, said he believes his organization has got to be the most diverse one on campus.

Simpsonica is a social club that meets at least once a month to hang out and talk about the popular television show, The Simpsons.

The group also hosts activities such as episode nights and game nights.

“The Simpsons appeals to such a wide range of people,” Needham said. “It’s just a good way to find a common bond.”