Student helps create Little Italy in Champaign-Urbana

By Kate Gleason

Before Daniele Nucera first set foot on campus in July 2002, he expected things to be different from his native home of Torino, Italy. Still, Nucera said he was surprised by just how different University life was from anything he had ever known.

The 26-year-old Nucera, who came here as a visiting scholar and is now a graduate student in veterinary pathobiology, said it took him some time to adjust to life in America.

“American English for me was very difficult,” he said. “I could understand my professors, but hardly ever the students because they talk faster.”

Nucera said he received his degree in epielemiology – the study of diseases in animals – in Torino, and then chose to further his education at the University thanks to advice from one of his professors.

Nucera’s parents and older brother still live in Torino, and while Nucera said he considers himself an independent person, he missed them a great deal at first.

After he completes his graduate degree, Nucera said he wanted to return to Italy. He said he hopes to be a research assistant and eventually a professor.

Nucera said life in Torino is “completely different” from here.

There is no “campus” there, he said. The departments are spread out all over Torino and neighboring towns.

There aren’t as many superstores, either. Instead, he said there are more farmer’s markets in Torino, which allow for interaction on a personal level between the buyer and the seller.

According to Nucera, the most noticeable difference between Torino and here is the students.

“People do more partying here,” he said. “I’m not a party guy, but many people go out nearly every weekend here.”

Nucera said he prefers to relax and visit with friends on the weekends. When he does go out, Nucera said he liked to hang out at the bars in downtown Champaign.

When he first moved here, Nucera lived with a group of fellow Italians. Now he lives with Miguel Malagreca, a graduate student in communications. Malagreca, who is visiting from Argentina, said he and Nucera met through friends.

When the two are not busy with their studies, Malagreca said he and Nucera like to attend dinner parties, watch movies and spend time with other friends.

“Daniele is a wonderful person and friend,” he said. “You can trust him, and everyone who meets him thinks this.”

In addition to being roommates, Nucera and Malagreca also hold leadership positions in the Italian Connection, a registered student organization at the University.

The organization, which was started in 1996, is a social group for students from Italy, and also for students here that have an appreciation for the language and culture.

Nucera said the group made the transition from Italy to the United States much easier. Members even helped him find an apartment.

After experiencing what the Italian Connection did for him, Nucera said he decided to join the group to help others like himself.

“When somebody does something for you, you want to give back,” he said.

The Italian Connection holds meetings every Tuesday at 6:30 p.m. at Espresso Royale Cafe in Urbana.

Nucera said these meetings are casual and that anyone interested can attend.

“We are very, very open,” he said. “If you have questions about anything, you can ask us.”

In addition to weekly meetings, Nucera said the group plans to sponsor parties, movie nights and fundraisers this year, as well as a reading group for people to practice their Italian.

Francesca Antonaci, a fifth-year graduate student in LAS, said she met Nucera through the Italian Connection two years ago.

“He is probably the sweetest person I know,” she said. “He’s always done a lot for me, and he’s always been around when I’ve needed him.”

Nucera said anyone interested in the Italian Connection can attend its next weekly meeting or come to the Cosmopolitan Club, 309 E. John St., on Sept. 9 for an Italian Coffee Hour. Nucera said the event will give people a chance to get a taste of Italian food, music and culture.