Falling Illini skydivers take students to extreme heights

By Laura Graesser

John Filippi was terrified the first time he jumped out of a plane. And the second time. And the fortieth time.

But he was hooked.

“I have not done anything else in my life that has felt remotely what skydiving feels like,” said Filippi, a senior in applied life sciences who is nearing his 1,000th jump as a skydiver.

Filippi began skydiving through the Falling Illini Skydiving Club, a registered student organization on campus that promotes the sport and provide students with an opportunity to skydive.

“There’s a huge interest in the sport,” said Brad Schlesinger, junior in FAA and president of the club. “We had 700 people sign the e-mail list on Quad Day.”

The club skydives every weekend of the year at the Archway Skydiving Center in Vandalia, Ill., where they have a longstanding relationship. While there are about 15 regular members who jump at every opportunity, the club welcomes about three first-time skydivers each week, Schlesinger said.

Archway provides a four-hour class that includes an instructional video and lessons by an instructor. First-time jumpers have two jump options. If they can go on a tandem jumps, they are strapped to the instructor. If they perform a static jump, they go solo. Many who want to experience the mere thrill try tandem jumps. Static jumps are geared toward those who want to become trained skydivers.

As a former instructor at Archway, Filippi helped all types of people learn how to skydive.

“I haven’t figured out what the stereotypical skydiver is,” Filippi said. “There are people of all ages and all walks of life who want to skydive.”

While Filippi and Schlesinger have never seen anyone back out of a jump once they got up in the plane, there are some who will not try the high adrenaline sport.

“I think it’s exciting and it’s something I’ve always wanted to do, but I’m scared of heights,” said Sarah Brager, junior in applied life sciences. “I don’t have the guts to do it.”

But even experienced skydivers have the same fear, Schlesinger said.

“A lot of people who are afraid of heights use it to get over that fear,” he added said.

Falling Illini members like Filippi also use the club as an outlet for educating the public about skydiving and breaking down the stereotypes of the sport.

“People think skydivers are crazy, that we have a death wish,” Filippi said. “There’s that public stigma of the parachute not opening, but it’s extremely rare. Any injuries are a result of the skydiver making a mistake.”

Instead of a death wish, Falling Illini members see skydiving as a way to feel even more alive.

“It’s something that everyone should experience at least once in their lifetime,” Schlesinger said. “The rush, the thrill of the sport can’t compare to anything else. You’re flying.”