Krupp talks about fashion magazine business

By Jamie Loo

Charla Krupp, executive editor of Shop, etc. magazine, spoke to students Monday about the fashion magazine business and how to get a job in the industry.

Krupp was senior editor at InStyle Magazine and editor in chief at eve.com before becoming executive editor at Shop, etc. She also is the on-air style correspondent on NBC’s Today show. The University alumnus gave a talk to a packed room in Gregory Hall on how to find a job at a fashion magazine in New York.

“It is tougher than ever to get that first job in New York,” Krupp said.

From her experience, Krupp said Illinois graduates are incredibly prepared and qualified once they leave the journalism program. Krupp says the real question is not how good you are, but how much patience, time and money you have to support yourself while you wait for the perfect opportunity. Internships are the key to getting a job in magazines, she said.

Most magazine internships are unpaid, but offer college credit. Krupp suggested loading up on credits during the fall or summer, then spending a spring semester on an internship because magazines have a harder time finding interns during the school year. Krupp also said the best time for an internship is between junior and senior year.

Krupp said applicants should present creative cover letters and thank-you notes.

“You have to show some pizzazz and style,” Krupp said.

Making a top 10 list of reasons for why they should hire you or recreating the magazine’s cover page with the list, are two ways to stand out from the competition, she said. In an interview, you should “look the part.” A classic black or gray suit is for an interview on Wall Street, but for a fashion magazine interview, Krupp said it’s important to stand out with good make-up, hair and a trendy outfit.

“The better you look, the more up to date and fresh, and the less like a college student you look … the better chance you will have at getting a job,” she said.

Reading up to a year’s worth of the magazine is an important part of researching the publication and showing interest, she said. Based on this research, Krupp said you should be able to come up with 10 new ideas for their next issue. Bringing an organized portfolio of your published work is also important and students should gain experience while still in school.

After the interview, it’s important to send a thank-you note immediately.

Krupp said students shouldn’t be intimidated about applying for internships and jobs in New York but should be persistent and work toward it.

“It’s not impossible to get a job from Champaign-Urbana. People are doing it all the time here,” Krupp said.

For internship information, Krupp suggested the Web site www.ed2010.com.