ACES holds open house

By Dan Farnham

After canceling its 2004 open house, the College of ACES is revamping its open house with a new name and a focus on recruitment.

The event, ExplorACES, will be held Friday and Saturday, March 11 and 12, 2005, on campus, coinciding with the College of Engineering Open House.

The college did not have an open house last spring because of budget constraints.

ExplorACES student co-chair Katie Nufer said the planning for the event is “pretty much student run,” with college marketing director Kathy Rieser and college dean Robert Easter helping the students.

While the open house catered to families with younger children, ExplorACES will try to recruit prospective students to join the college.

“Our academic programs are pretty rigorous, and the Open House activities that appealed to young children didn’t always showcase our college in a way that got older students interested in us,” Easter said in a press release.

Nufer said the organizers hope to attract students from areas they don’t heavily recruit, such as the Chicago suburbs.

In order to entice prospective students, the event will have interactive exhibits made by ACES students, showcasing the college’s work. Visitors will also be able to tour labs and classrooms and talk with students and faculty members.

Nufer said the students have not done much publicity work for the event but will work with the Engineering Open House to attract students.

Planning for the event began in April. Students chose the name “ExplorACES” in a contest held late last semester.