UI blood drives support local hospitals

Carol Matteucci

Carol Matteucci

By Lauren Eichmann

According to the American Red Cross, every two seconds a person in the United States needs blood. Thousands of patients in East Central Illinois and four million people throughout the nation need blood transfusions each year. Yet, only about 5 percent of the healthy population chooses to donate.

At the University, Community Blood Services of Illinois, in conjunction with the American Red Cross and the Blood Project of Volunteer Illini Projects (VIP), hosts blood drives in the Illini Union.

According to Toni Frolova, director of the VIP Blood Project and senior in LAS, the goal of the organization is “to get as many donors as we can.” The project hosts 10 drives a year – four every semester and two during the summer.

“(Donating blood) is a lifesaving cause, and it doesn’t take much time to volunteer,” said Josh Tatel, a sophomore in business who recently donated blood. “There’s always a shortage, and I saw a sign so (I) decided to donate.”

At each of the blood drives, the organization’s goal is to recruit at least 200 donors. From Sept. 7 through Sept. 10, VIP Blood Project surpassed its goal with more than 280 student and faculty volunteers willing to donate blood.

Both Tatel and Nikki Venvertloh, freshman in LAS, said they donate blood whenever they can.

“I try to donate regularly,” Venvertloh said. She suggested that potential donors bring friends along for support if they’re scared of giving blood.

Community Blood Services of Illinois has been organizing local blood drives for more than 25 years. With support from local residents and students at the University and Eastern Illinois University, all of the donated blood goes to area hospitals in Danville, Effingham, Charleston and Champaign-Urbana. Blood sharing also is common in the Chicago area, where many students have permanent residences.

“It’s good to help out your community by donating blood,” said Dy-Ana Palm, a phlebotomist with Community Blood Services of Illinois. “All the blood we collect is distributed in our area. It’s there if you need it, or one of your loved ones ever need it.”

Half of all blood donated by volunteers nationwide comes from America’s Blood Centers, a network of federally licensed and locally governed blood centers. Community Blood Service is one branch of America’s Blood Centers and hosts blood drives at the University.

All blood donors must be in good health and weigh at least 110 pounds. The donation process takes anywhere from 45 to 60 minutes, and refreshments are served afterward.

“It’s one of the easiest things you can do,” Palm said. “It’s simple, quick, rather painless and very crucial to a lot of people out there.”