Shots arrive for patients

By Kali Bhandari

The McKinley Health Center has received 1,000 flu shot vaccines in a co-op arrangement with the Champaign-Urbana Pubic Health District (CUPHD) and Christie Clinic.

The vaccines have been identified for patients in high-risk categories only, said Dr. Robert Palinkas, director of McKinley Health Center. There are 1,400 students that fit into the various high-risk categories, Palinkas said. The categories include those with asthma, diabetes and weakened immune systems.

“If all the (1,400) students wanted one, we wouldn’t have enough,” Palinkas said. “But it’s not certain that every one of them will actually seek a vaccine.”

He said there were two reasons for this. The first was that not everybody wants to get vaccinated, and the other was that some would have already received vaccines from other sources.

Palinkas said that McKinley was in dialogue with the CUPHD to get more shots and that the CUPHD was aware of community needs.

Students receiving the shots will have to sign a statement that informs them what the high-risk categories are and affirm that they fit into those categories. McKinley staff may do additional verification that includes interviews and record checking to see if there are any concerns over a student’s high-risk status.

“We’re hoping students will … understand that we’re not trying to hold back (flu shots), but by being reasonable (those in high risk categories can get their shots first),” Palinkas said.