Homecoming arrives in fashion

Lauren Lenkowski

By Ashley Johnson

Students modeled the latest fashion trends and displayed their fit bodies during the sold-out African-American Homecoming Fashion Show and Physique Show in Lincoln Hall Friday night. The events were part of the University’s African-American Homecoming.

Nikkita Randle, co-chair for African-American Homecoming, said this was the first time the Illini Union Board and Delta Sigma Theta sorority co-sponsored the two events. In the past, they were two separate events with the sorority putting on the Physique Show and the Illini Union Board sponsoring the fashion show.

“We said, instead of competing, we should have everybody get together so people won’t have to decide which event to attend,” Randle said. “We had a great turnout; we had more attendance than we expected. I’ve been hearing great reviews about it and it was a great opportunity to co-sponsor with the Deltas.”

Erica Smith, senior in communications, said she chose to model in the fashion show because she wanted to participate before she graduates from the University. ÿ

She said the show is about exposure for the models and the audience.

“(The show) gives the students something positive and shows off different types of fashion,” Smith said.

Fashions included swimwear, casual wear and evening wear. The fashion show also incorporated movie themes, using elements from Kill Bill, House Party and Coming to America.

Other African-American Homecoming events were Tuesday’s African-American Homecoming Pageant, a concert featuring rapper Lil’ Wayne and the African-American Homecoming Dance, both held Saturday night. ÿ

Randle summed up the importance of the weekend’s activities. ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ

“It’s an event for African-Americans to get together during Homecoming,” Randle said. “We’re not trying to exclude ourselves from the other Homecoming … but do things that are related more to our ethnicity since we don’t have things on this campus that pertain to just us.”

Ashley Hooks, freshman in FAA, agreed.

“I like the fact that we’re making it important for black people to get together,” Hooks said. “I can’t really relate to a lot of the things that the University puts together (for Homecoming), so I really thought the activities the African-American Homecoming offered were great.”