Search underway for new Chancellor

By Ryan Hall

Although the search committee for a new chancellor has been meeting since July, their work is just getting started.

May Berenbaum, professor of entomology and search committee member, said the committee had to wait until a successor for retiring President James Stukel was named before they could begin their search. Last week, B. Joseph White, former interim president of the University of Michigan, was named as Stukel’s successor.

“We’re doing this in a step-wise process with the president,” she said.

Berenbaum said the committee has been working hard in order to have everything in place for White when he takes office.

“It’s only just begun,” she said.

Search committee member Sue Sindelar, executive assistant to president Stukel, said there are no candidates as of yet and that advertisements for the position have only recently begun.

A new chancellor will most likely be named by next spring or early summer, she said.

When Cantor resigned last July, then Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs Richard Herman was chosen as an interim replacement. Anderson said that since interim chancellor Herman is currently filling the position, he might be a possible applicant.

Prior to former chancellor Nancy Cantor’s resignation, a search committee was appointed by the University Senate Committee on Committees. As outlined by the Senate Executive Committee, the search committee is composed of 15 members including nine faculty, three students, a dean or director, an academic professional and one staff member.

The committee will construct a list of four to six possible replacements. The list of candidates will then be given to the University president who will interview each individual and present the list to the Board of Trustees, which will review each candidate. The president can recommend a candidate, but the board will make the final decision.

James D. Anderson, professor in educational policy studies, is the chairman of the search committee.

Anderson said the process has been going smoothly and that candidates will have to meet careful but demanding guidelines.

“As we say, the first three criteria are all the same: quality, quality, quality,” he said.