Inquest for student killed by bus to be held Thursday

By Nate Sandstrom

The inquest for Carolyn Jeffers, a University doctoral student who was struck and killed by a bus at the intersection of Gregory Drive and Goodwin Avenue on Oct. 27, will be held Thursday, Nov. 18 at 10:50 a.m. at the Urbana Civic Center, 108 E. Water Street.

During the inquest, a representative from the Champaign County Coroner’s office will present the known facts of the case to six members of the public, similar to a jury, who will then agree on the cause and manner of death, said Steve Elkins, Champaign County deputy coroner.

The group will rule on what will appear on Jeffers’ death certificate. Their conclusion has no bearing on criminal or civil cases that may arise concerning her death, he said.

The driver of the bus that struck Jeffers received a ticket for “failure to yield to a pedestrian in a crosswalk,” said Krystal Fitzpatrick, assistant director of the division of public safety. Although no officers witnessed the incident, she said they were able to ticket the driver on the basis of the information they were provided about the incident.

The division of public safety has completed its investigation, although Fitzpatrick said she had no further comment until after the inquest.

The Champaign-Urbana Mass Transit District was unable to be reached for comment.