Food drive efforts increase for holiday

Online Poster

By Molly Rafter

For most people, Thanksgiving is a time to be with loved ones, to be thankful and to be surrounded by lots of food. For some, however, that is not the case.

In 2003 alone, 34.9 million people lived in households that were food insecure, meaning they did not have access to enough food to meet their basic needs, according to the United States Department of Agriculture Census Bureau survey. Studies by America’s Second Harvest, an organization dedicated to finding ways to reduce hunger, show that 9.2 percent of people in Illinois are food insecure.

Although the numbers show that many families are going hungry, community organizations throughout the Champaign County area and student organizations on campus are helping to make the holiday season an enjoyable one for those that are suffering. The organizations agree that there is always a need for more volunteers and donations because numbers have shown that donation turnout has been low in recent years.

Eastern Illinois Food Bank is one of Illinois’ largest food banks that works year-round. Jessica Culp, communications and volunteerism coordinator for the food bank, said the organization will make an even more concerted effort during the fall months to raise food donations for Thanksgiving. The organization’s Food for Families Drive that ran from Oct. 25 through Nov. 15 is their biggest annual drive for the Thanksgiving holiday.

While the food bank appreciates all donations during the holiday season, it does accept donations all year long.

“Our organization distributes all of the food donated to soup kitchens, shelters and other surrounding organizations throughout all of Eastern Illinois,” Culp said.

Culp said donations were lower than normal this year.

“Planning effectively with the community is important in getting more people to donate next year,” she said.

The Salvation Army of Champaign is also making efforts to provide food for the hungry in the Champaign area. They are hosting their annual food drive, Fall Harvest, which will run through early December at County Market stores starting Nov. 19.

Major John Turner, corps officer for the Salvation Army, stressed the importance of food donations – especially during this time of year.

“We are always needing more donations from people that are able to donate,” he said.

Meadowbrook Community Church of Champaign runs a food drive for members of their church through a program called Love Works.

“The program that is currently going on adequately provides food to members of the church that are in need of it especially at this time of the year,” said Joe Barth, youth minister of the church.

He said that while an acceptable amount of food has been donated, the church would always accept more donations for its members.

Student organizations are getting involved as well. The Rotaract Club works with the Urbana Rotary Club and volunteers at local food pantries after the Thanksgiving holiday.

“We’re planning on helping the Salvation Army and Eastern Illinois Food Bank with their food drives,” said Kim Jurs, president of the group and sophomore in FAA.

Tommy Chiampas, freshman in LAS, agreed that donating to the hungry was important.

“Helping out people definitely makes a difference,” Chiampas said. “No matter where you are, you should help those who need it as much as you can.”