Students hold vigil for victims

Troy Stanger

Troy Stanger

By David Valdes

University students, faculty members and campus visitors gathered at the steps of the Illini Union Wednesday night to honor the Southeast Asian tsunami victims.

Kuanwu Lin, a clinical counselor at the Counseling Center, passed around white candles to initiate the ceremony. The group observed a moment of silence for the victims – more than 170,000 have died, according to Reuters – a few minutes before 7:00 p.m.

“This is an event put together by various student organizations to honor the victims of the tsunami,” said Jeffrey Sichaleune, visiting assistant to the Office of the Dean of Students. “It was held today because it’s the one-month anniversary of when the earthquake hit.”

Sichaleune stood on the Union’s patio, overseeing the crowd gathered in the cold weather to honor those killed by the tsunami and those suffering from the aftermath.

The event’s masters of ceremonies were Tina Wei, sophomore in LAS, and James Lien, sophomore in business, co-directors of the Asian Pacific American Coalition (APAC). Lien described APAC as a group that “raises awareness about issues of Asians, but also minorities.” Members of several student organizations, including the Sri Lankan Society, the Indonesian Student Club and the Muslim Student Association, also participated in the vigil.

Wei said that she was proud of all the efforts this week for tsunami relief but urged the public to remember that it is an ongoing battle.

“We serve as a link between the student population and the faculty,” Lien said.

Lien also praised those who participated in tsunami relief efforts by collecting cans, holding charity dinners and fundraisers.

But Lien said that he was concerned with a New York radio station Hot 97’s recent parody of the tsunami crisis on their morning show. Faces in the crowd nodded in acceptance as he asked for such derogatory acts to cease.

Shweta Malladi, freshman in LAS, bowed her head as she walked passed the vigil.

“Although it may seem like a small contribution, every little bit counts toward such a great tragedy,” she said.