Memorial honors Journalism prof.

By Nate Sandstrom

Bob Reid told his journalism students that each should be a Curious George; they should be interested in the world around them and ask questions. So most of the more than 100 people who attended the memorial service held for Reid Saturday wore buttons featuring the cartoon monkey.

Reid died at 64 after suffering a heart attack on Dec. 15. Relatives, colleagues and former students remembered Reid for his passions – journalism and teaching.

Reid won several prestigious teaching awards during his 25 years at the University. However, those who knew him said he was far more concerned about his students than recognition.

“He always (had) students stacked up like planes circling over O’Hare outside of his office,” said journalism professor Steve Helle.

Reid’s teaching extended to the University faculty as well.

“He was the heart and soul of the department – there’s no other way to say it,” said journalism professor Eric Meyer.

Meyer said when the faculty was discussing a difficult issue, they tried to figure out what they called “The Bob Reid question,” because Reid was able to ask the question at the heart of an issue.

“His influence drew attention to those things that mattered,” said Walt Harrington, head of the journalism department.

Harrington said Reid’s passion was contagious and carried over to everyone he met.

Glenn Reid, Bob’s younger brother, said Bob was a teacher to him growing up. Bob found journalism early; he and his high school sweetheart (who later became his wife), Marilyn, edited his school’s newspaper in Freeport, Ill.

People also emphasized Reid’s commitment to journalism.

Fletcher Farrar, who was a reporter for the Southern Illinoisan in Carbondale, Ill., while Reid was the managing editor of the paper, said Reid motivated him to get important stories.

“You’ve got freedom of the press. The only thing that stands between you and the story is yourself,” Farrar said Reid told him.

Reid also reminded reporters they were writing for the readers, Farrar said.

“The words he gave me sustained me in journalism,” said John Fountain, a University journalism professor who was also a student of Reid’s.

Reid’s influence followed Fountain to his work in the field and into his teaching. Reid taught that the responsibility that came with teaching and journalism made them more than just a job, Fountain said.

Reid was also known among his students for his strict adherence to deadlines. If a paper wasn’t in when the bell rang, it received an “F.”

“No one got more upset about (giving an ‘F’) than he would,” Meyer said.

Reid also worked to provide opportunities for minorities at the University.

Reid and Ron Yates, Dean of the College of Communications, developed the Minority Recruitment Fund in Journalism to help minorities who lacked the educational opportunities that many other applicants had to admit to the journalism master’s degree program.

“Bob and I agreed that we needed to do a lot more about getting more minorities in the program because if you’re going to reflect society properly you need to have that kind of representation in your programs,” Yates said.

“Racism was the one thing he hated more than anything else,” Meyer said.

Reid was also known to be able to hold conversations for hours.

Yates was telling those who attended about his decision to come to teach at the University and mentioned Reid had asked him if he “had a few minutes.” Those who knew Reid laughed, knowing that few conversations with him lasted just a few minutes. However, no one seemed to mind that the conversations sometimes ran long.

“After talking with him, whatever it was (that was bothering you) you’d feel better. It didn’t mean the situation changed – it just didn’t seem as bad,” said former student J.C. Wilson.

Yates said, “You never went in there (Reid’s office) and came out without having learned something.”