LAS helps seniors prepare for life after college

By Kyle Moncelle

Seniors in LAS will have the opportunity to attend a special seminar focusing on the art of the business luncheon. The seminar will be held today in the Colonial Room of the Illini Union from 4 to 6 p.m.

“The whole idea behind (the seminar) is for the interview setting,” said Ruth Hayden, leader of the seminar and Wildfire divisional trainer for Lettuce Entertain You Enterprises. “Sometimes companies take the person out to lunch or dinner, and we try to make them feel comfortable in that setting and allow them to concentrate on the interview instead of whether they are using the right fork or eating properly.”

The seminar will address such topics as which piece of silverware to use, when, when to begin eating, and how to handle difficult foods such as pizza or a submarine sandwich. It will also discuss interview basics, including how to dress properly for a business luncheon and making appropriate introductions.

The seminar includes both the workshop and a meal, which is covered by a $10 fee.

LAS will host additional workshops later this semester, including a seminar on financial portfolios and financial decisions and one on skills necessary to advance in a chosen career path.

Interested students can find applications available at the LAS Web site, www.las.uiuc.edu, as well as additional information regarding upcoming seminars.