UI graduate student performs at Apollo

By Liz deAvila

An audience chanting her name, the stage of the famed Apollo Theater in New York City under her feet and the news that she won first place on Apollo Amateur Night on Jan. 12 was all a dream come true for singer Sherrika Ellison, graduate student in education.

Ellison, an Urbana native, was chosen to perform at the Apollo after winning a talent competition at the Virginia Theatre last October.

Every Wednesday night the Apollo welcomes singers and musical artists to perform and be judged by the audience, where the volume of applause determines the winner, according to the Apollo Theater Web site.

Ellison returned to the Apollo Theater to perform two weeks later, on Jan. 26 and was able to secure a spot to the next round. On March 23, Ellison will be returning to the Apollo Theater to perform in the “Top Dog” round, and if she places there, she will advance to the “Super Top Dog” competition. The performer to come in first place at the “Super Top Dog” level wins a spot on the “Showtime at the Apollo” TV program, according to the Apollo Theater Web site.

As Ellison recalled the audience applauding her to number one, her already bright smile became wider and she laughed out loud.

“Oh my gosh, I was overjoyed,” Ellison said. “My mom said she heard people screaming my name. I was like, oh my goodness, they like me. Wow!”

Apollo Amateur Night has launched the careers of performers like Ella Fitzgerald, James Brown, and Lauryn Hill, according to the Apollo Theater Web site.

Ellison has appeared in several local productions, including the Illini Union’s fall musical Hair. She lists Aretha Franklin and Whitney Houston as two of her musical influences and hopes the Apollo performances will be her ticket to a professional singing career.

Ellison plans to pursue acting and musical theater, and eventually wants to appear on Broadway. Her first priority, however, is her singing.

“It’s always been a passion of mine,” Ellison said. “Singing is just fun to me.”

Between being a graduate counselor for the Office of Minority Student Affairs (OMSA) and a graduate coordinator for the Office of Student Financial Aid, Ellison still finds the time to sing for various engagements. Her upcoming schedule includes the Black Women’s Achievement Dinner, an Illini hockey game, and Krannert’s Black History Program.

Sandra Kato, assistant dean of OMSA and director of the Upward Bound College Prep Academy in Champaign, called Ellison “upwardly mobile” and notes that she has consistently given back, returning to speak at the Academy whenever asked.

“She’s just outstanding,” Kato said. “She has character, and she’s learned.”

Despite her many ties to Urbana-Champaign, Ellison said she is willing to make New York City her new home, but she would not move until she receives her master’s degree in human resource education in May.

“A city such as New York will have a lot of opportunities for me, as far as me wanting to pursue my career in singing,” Ellison said. “I am willing to relocate.”

Ellison considers herself an R&B; singer and sang “I Believe in You and Me” from The Preacher’s Wife soundtrack when she performed at the Apollo. She said she has a wide vocal range and the only way to understand it would be to hear her sing.

“I can sing anything I put my mind to,” Ellison said. “But I consider myself an alto.”

Sheri Shaw, Ellison’s friend and graduate student, said Ellison has always been a star and is handling her current success with grace. Shaw has been to many of her singing engagements and is impressed by the strength of Ellison’s voice.

“She puts everyone in tears,” Shaw said. “She has a really powerful voice.”

Tammy Barber, Ellison’s hairstylist and owner of Trendsetters in Champaign, has known Ellison since she was a junior in high school. She styled Ellison’s hair for her Apollo performances but only recently heard her sing.

“I think she sounds phenomenal,” Barber said. “She’s a very hard worker. (Her success) is well-deserved.”

Ellison noted the great support her family and friends have given her. She listed the names of everyone who have come to her singing performances and stressed how thankful she was to those who believed in her.

“There have been a lot of people who have supported me,” Ellison said. “I didn’t go into this alone.”

She also made sure to give credit where she believed credit was due.

“It’s truly been a blessing from God,” Ellison said. “I give Him all the praise.”