Engineering dean accepts Texas post

By Christopher Cook

David Daniel, the dean of the college of engineering at the University, was named the new president of the University of Texas at Dallas on Feb. 10.

He will replace Franklyn Jenifer, who announced his retirement in Oct. 2003, agreeing to stay until a successor could be found.

Daniel came to the University in 1996 and was named dean of the college in 2001. He said creating the Department of Bioengineering and the Siebel Computer Science Center were highlights of his time at Illinois.

He also said he was proud to help the college of engineering through tough financial times.

Daniel played a big part in the controversial decision to further raise tuition for engineering and science, which was “more important than people think,” according to Myron Salamon, associate dean and director for the Engineering Experiment Station. Salamon said the tuition increase helped fund the Siebel Center and improved the quality of life at the University.

Salamon also said Daniel’s leadership in situations like these means that Daniel will be sorely missed, but that he is leaving the college in good shape.

“Daniel brings to the presidency of UT-Dallas a well established record of achievement as a scientist, researcher and administrator, and he has a deep understanding and appreciation of the complex role that universities play in society,” stated James Huffines, chairman of the University of Texas board of regents, in a press release.

Daniel, an alumnus of the University of Texas at Austin who also served as a faculty member at that university for 16 years, is especially familiar with the quality of the Texas system.

Nevertheless, deciding to leave Illinois was not easy.

“Working here has taught me to appreciate quality people – in particular, students,” Daniel said. “There are so many friends and colleagues I don’t wish to leave.”

Bob Wille, vice president of the engineering council, described Daniel as a great dean, lauding Daniel’s devotion, positive attitude and tremendous public speaking ability. He said he was most impressed, however, with the way Daniel interacted with students.

“He addressed students’ issues,” Wille said. “He took time for everything, listened to students and showed great understanding.”

He said Daniel’s perspective led many others to appreciate their time at the University as well.

“He taught me to value my experience here, just to stop for a second and consider the greatness of our college and University,” Wille said.