Student brings southern style to UI

By Jyoti Ahuja

A hospitality management student hosted the Bluegrass Cafe, bringing a taste of Southern cuisine to the Bevier Spice Box on March 4.

Jacqueline Newar, senior in ACES, hosted the fine dining event to meet a part of her requirements as a graduating student in the hospitality management curriculum. She was graded on her culinary skills by the panel of judges, as well as whether she was able to raise enough funds to break even.

“I had been preparing the recipes for over a year, and I thought it would be a nice change in pace to have a Southern-styled meal rather than what can be found at restaurants in Champaign or Urbana,” Newar said. “The recipes had to stay consistent with the style of the menu as well as ensuring that the array of flavors did not overpower each other.”

Newar said the dining hall was designed to emulate a midnight sky, using twinkle lights and long black sheets of paper hanging from the ceiling.

Newar’s family came from Mt. Prospect, Ill., to support her. Jana Newar, Jacqueline’s mother, was pleased with how the event went.

“The dinner was good,” she said. “The meal was pricey, but you got a lot for your money.”

The four-course dinner, which introduced the customers to the cuisines of the “Bluegrass State” of Kentucky, began with a field greens salad with bacon, blue cheese and pecans. Stuffed eggplant with cheddar grits followed as appetizers.

Deanne Degrass, a judge from Mt. Prospect, said the dinner gave her new experiences.

“(I) never had cheddar grits, so that was a different twist,” she said.

There were two choices of entrees, grilled chicken and barbecued Kentucky pork chops, and a vegetarian option. Dessert included pecan pie and peach ice cream. The meal began and ended with pecans.

Along with the Southern food, four white wines were available.

Jill North, professor of food sciences and human nutrition, said there will be approximately ten more fine dining meals at the Spice Box.

“I think this is a great experience for the students since they will able to apply it to real world experiences in their future,” North said.