Committee says celebrate with class, respect

By Kalyn Cooper

With the success of the Illini Men’s Basketball team, the University’s Celebratory Violence Committee is taking precautions to ensure that the University and community members celebrate responsibly.

Committee chair Bill Riley, associate vice chancellor and dean of students, helped establish the committee two years ago in response to rioting at other universities. The committee, which is independent from other University branches, consists of 14 people – students and staff – who meet regularly to prepare for events like the upcoming basketball games.

“We make recommendations to the campus and community that would prevent violence after athletic events,” Riley said. “We’ve included a diverse group of University students and staff members, as well as police representatives, to avoid any possible disruption in the city.”

Although the committee is ready for a celebratory disturbance if one should occur, University Chief of Police Oliver J. Clark, who is also on the committee, said he is optimistic about the way students would react.

“We aren’t expecting any problems from the University and its students,” Clark said. “But considering what’s happened on other campuses, we should be prepared.”

Clark McPhail, committee member and professor in sociology, said that only 10 percent of people arrested in campus riots he has studied are students. Many of the people who contribute to the problem are not even community members but people who come to visit for an exciting event and end up causing trouble.

Riley said McPhail’s wide knowledge of celebratory actions and riots has helped the committee to understand how riots can begin.

“Some people come from hundreds of miles away just to get in the action,” McPhail said. “Most people in the crowd are just observing dangerous behavior, but that puts them in the line of fire for injury.”

Riley said the committee is still encouraging people to celebrate with the success of the basketball team but to do it responsibly.

“Many people are contributing to the effort to let students know what is expected of them,” Riley said. “Coach (Bruce) Weber recently distributed a public service announcement thanking the community for their support and their responsible actions.”

Along with the Celebratory Violence Committee’s preparations, they are also brainstorming and preparing to implement policies for important game days, Riley said.

Leaving debris in the street can contribute to disruptive celebrations, McPhail said. He said anything students can destroy, throw or set on fire has potential for harmful effects.

“There will be no visible trash or rubbish on the streets and sidewalks, and vehicles shouldn’t be parked on the street,” McPhail said. “There will be a visible police presence, but they won’t be turning out in SWAT gear.”

Clark said he agreed that the police would be ready for an event, but they did not want to be provocative or threatening.

“We are trained and prepared to deal with any situation, violence or otherwise,” Clark said. “Security will be increased as needed. We’re playing it by ear.”

In the event that the Illini basketball team makes it to the NCAA Championship game this spring, Riley said he hopes to use Assembly Hall to show the game to students.

“If everyone could watch the game together in a safe environment, it would decrease potential for problems. We would serve refreshments, but not alcohol,” Riley said. “We can meet together to take pride in our team and in our school.”

McPhail said students should be cognizant of the fact that their actions have consequences – in ways they may not even think about.

When the Ohio State students rioted in November 2002 after a football game against Michigan State, McPhail said the graduates from the university ran into problems as they entered the job market.

“After the Ohio State debacle in the fall of 2002, those students found they were being questioned about it when they went to interview for jobs the next spring,” McPhail said. “Innocent students found that the value of their degree was lowered. We should be concerned with keeping the reputation of this University.”

But McPhail said the committee does not anticipate any problems from members of this community.

“Our students aren’t likely to see problems like OSU did,” McPhail said. “We have very smart students who stay safe when they’re drinking and know how to celebrate with dignity.”