Now available: DVD rentals from the Undergrad Library

By Dirk Vanover

Wondering what happened to Carrie in season three of Sex and the City? Wanting to see an episode of Black Adder or Babylon 5? Now University students can find these TV shows and many others on DVD at the Undergraduate Library.

The Undergraduate Library began a pilot program in February to allow students to check out DVDs.

“We have a teaching and research collection that does not circulate to students, and we have had requests from students for something to take out of the library,” said Mary Laskowski, coordinator of media services, cataloging and reserving for the Undergraduate Library.

Students can borrow the DVDs for three days free of charge. If the DVDs are late, a $5 fee will be charged for each item for each day they are late.

Laskowski said the collection is mostly popular culture titles, such as TV shows and movies.

“At least 90 percent of what we have is television series,” Laskowski said.

Currently, the library has around 530 DVDs available to be checked out with more on order. However, because of the numerous DVDs in TV collections, there are only about 300 titles.

Laskowski said the program appears to be popular, but that it might not continue if the library cannot secure a permanent source of funding to pay for it. She said the library used gifts and miscellaneous funds to start the pilot program.

Jake Chambers, senior in LAS, thinks the program is a good idea and will try to take advantage of it in the near future.

“I always think it is a good idea for a public library to increase its resources,” Chambers said, “especially if academic DVDs are part of the set the

library offers.”

Chambers said he would like to see the program offer more classical movies and documentaries such as those seen on the History Channel or PBS’s NOVA.

On the Undergraduate Library’s Media and Reserve Center Web site, students can suggest movies or TV shows they would like to see added to the list.

Laskowski said students can also visit the Web site to browse the titles currently available.

Helena Butters, a graduate student in accountancy, said she would not be able to take advantage of the program because she does not have time. She thinks the acquisition of current DVDs is good if it does not take away from the acquisition of current research journals and books.

“It might bring more people into the library,” Butters said. “As long as it doesn’t divert from the true purpose of the library, which is educational.”

To Learn More About The Library DVD Service, CLICK HERE!!!