Campus restaurants attract students, prepare for Final Four weekend

By Molly Rafter

As students walk up and down Green Street, they might find themselves surrounded by a variety of restaurants. Students can satisfy their hunger by choosing from Italian, Mexican and Chinese cuisine, to name a few. Certain campus restaurants are home to many students and provide not only a meal, but also a fun environment to relax after a stressful day of classes, or to unwind after a night out.

Qdoba, a Mexican restaurant at 617 E. Green St., is busy most of the time, said Robert Cabrera, the store’s general manager.

“Our peak moments include the lunch and dinner hours, but we usually have a continuous flow of business throughout the entire day,” Cabrera said.

Alicia Aguirre, freshman in LAS, said Qdoba is her favorite restaurant on campus.

“I like Qdoba a lot,” Aguirre said. “They give a lot of food, and give you a lot of options to choose from.”

Cabrera said Qdoba stays open until 3 a.m. on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights to accommodate the bar rush.

“We stay open to feed everyone’s needs,” he said. “Every weekend is constantly busy late at night.”

Other restaurants on campus tend to see a general trend in an increase of business late at night.

One World Pizza, 508 E. Green St., finds its peak hours to be after 11 p.m., and stays open because of that until 4 a.m., said Amalia Thompson, co-owner of the restaurant.

“We deliver and have a lot of walk-ins during late nights,” Thompson said. “It gets pretty crowded in here. Most of our deliveries start after one or two in the morning and continue all the way until 4 a.m.”

Gumby’s Pizza, 1409 S. Neil St., is a popular hunger savior to many students on campus. Matt Miske, a kitchen manager for Gumby’s, said they do a lot of their business on Tuesday nights.

“Tuesdays are very popular because we have our customers buy one pizza or pokey stix, get the other for a dollar,” Miske said.

Miske said Gumby’s tries to make deals during the week because that is when their business lags the most.

Other restaurants offer similar incentives.

Starting next week, Qdoba will offer daily specials to try to increase sales during off-peak hours, Cabrera said. One of the deals includes $5 burritos on Mondays, he said.

Aguirre said she appreciates campus restaurants offering deals.

“The two-for-one deal with Gumby’s is great because it allows you to get a bunch of friends to go in on the order, which makes it cheap for everyone,” she said.

Certain weekends and holidays are busier than others for restaurants on campus.

“Our busiest days of the school year so far have been Halloween and Unofficial St. Patrick’s Day,” said Thompson. “Our sales increased by 30 percent on Unofficial St. Patrick’s Day alone.”

Wes Whiteman, shift manager for Silver Mine Subs located at 612 E. Daniel St., agreed that Unofficial St. Patrick’s Day, held on March 4 this year, was great for their business as well, but said other special days can also draw in business.

“Game days are very big. We get a lot of people stopping in after the football and basketball games,” he said.

Although many students said they choose a restaurant because of its deals and food, others said the atmosphere does it.

“My favorite restaurant is Za’s because you usually don’t get good sit-down food here on campus,” said Shweta Malladi, freshman in LAS. Za’s is an Italian restaurant at 629 E. Green St.

Aguirre said going out to campus restaurants helps her take a break from the stress of college.

“I go out to the restaurants more often during the weekdays because it’s nice to go with friends and unwind,” Aguirre said.

“You can talk over things that have happened during the day. It’s a very nice break from reality.”