Group helps residents apply for citizenship

By Naomi Miyake

A life-size chalk drawing of a naked woman with very large breasts, an erect penis and the words “Tranny Surprise” pointing to the penis was found on the cement entrance of Allen Hall Sunday evening.

The drawing is thought to have connection with the campus visit of Jamison Green, an internationally recognized public speaker and educator of transsexual and transgender issues. Green and his hosts from the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender (LGBT) Roundtable found the drawing while being evacuated for a fire drill.

“The whole point of us bringing Jamison to our campus was to provide awareness and education around transgender issues and (to communicate that) transgender individuals are human beings and not objects to pick apart,” said Tiger Swan, treasurer of LGBT Roundtable. “This drawing basically underscored the importance of that goal.”

Green came to campus last Saturday night and stayed three days to host a number of workshops and talk to students and staff about transgender issues.

“This is interesting because there’s all kinds of posters all over the building about how there’s a transsexual speaker here, so this is somebody’s concept of what transsexual is,” Green said. “I understand it reflects a certain amount of immaturity, but it still needs to be addressed. It’s not appropriate.”

Swan and a few others decided to surround the drawing and other parts of the entrance later that night with positive messages instead of erasing the drawing.

They chalked “This is Transphobia” and drew an arrow pointing to “Tranny Surprise.” Other messages included “Stop Transphobia!” and “We only love here!” and “Transphobia” with an X through it.

Swan said that he felt it was important to insert positive messages to educate students that transphobia is wrong and was glad that several students asked the meaning of transphobia as they walked by.

But Curt McKay – director of the Office of LGBT Concerns – said the chalk drawing and the positive messages were all found erased the next morning. All other surrounding chalk designs were left intact, he said.

“It was sad that the positive messages were erased because it was basically erasing any further education that we could have provided,” Swan said.

Green said he thinks someone was directed to wash the messages and drawing out.

“There’s a transphobic desire to avoid any conflict around trans people,” Green said.

While Green said he wouldn’t consider the drawing a hate crime, he said it is a form of “hate speech.”

“There are all kinds of physical differences between people that are nobody else’s business,” Green said. “What is it that makes (the chalk drawers) think they have the right to be derogatory and insulting to people who happen to be different?”