Students to ‘Relay For Life’ tonight

Sophomore in ACES Carrie Langford, left, turns in money to American Cancer Society employee, Lauren Giovagnoli, in the Illini Union, Thursday. Langford´s team raised about $800 among 8 members for the Relay for Life that will take place Friday eveni Online Poster

By Molly Rafter

More than 1,600 University students will participate in the annual American Cancer Society Relay For Life tonight to help raise money for cancer research at the University Track and Soccer Stadium from 7 p.m. today to 7 a.m. of April 9.

Cancer accounts for nearly one-quarter of deaths in the United States, according to The National Center for Health Statistics, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2004. In addition, the CDC reports that 527,271 people in the United States died of cancer in 2002 alone.

The first Relay For Life was organized In 1986 by Dr. Gordy Klatt, a colorectal surgeon from Tacoma, Wash., to unite people in raising money to fight cancer.

“Relay For Life is not a race, it’s a way to bring a campus community together to fight cancer,” said Hilary Wells, staff partner for the Champaign branch of The American Cancer Society.

Each team or individual participant solicits donations for the American Cancer Society. Wells said more than 160 teams registered to participate in tonight’s event. She said members from each team take turns walking or running around a track throughout the 24-hour time period.

The registered student organization Colleges Against Cancer will be one of the participating teams.

“This is something we have been doing for four years,” said Kimberly Dean, President of Colleges Against Cancer and senior in LAS. “I think (the number of participants) just goes to show that so many people are affected by cancer.”

Joann Merritello, freshman in LAS, said she signed up to participate because she knows people affected by cancer.

“I have had friends affected greatly by cancer, and it also runs in my family,” she said.

Members participating in the event can either choose to get donations individually or through their team.

“Some teams hold car washes and pancake breakfasts to raise money,” Wells said.

Wells also said there will be entertainment and activities at the events that are open to the public.

“We are having a cappella groups perform, as well as dance troupes,” she said.

Wells also said the Cancer Education Committee has planned fun ways for people to learn about cancer prevention at the event.

Another special activity that takes place at every Relay For Life is the Luminaria ceremony. White bags are placed around the track with glow sticks inside each one of them. Wells said each bag is in honor of a particular person who has either passed away from cancer or survived cancer. Participants walk around the track while names of those honored are read off at 9:30 p.m.

Dean said the ceremony will be one of the most emotional aspects of the night.

“It’s nice to take a moment of silence to reflect on those who have either died of cancer or survived cancer,” she said.

Many students believe the event will have great benefits.

“I think that it is a fun event that really helps show support for a cure for cancer,” Merritello said. “I hope to see an increasing amount of support for cancer awareness, and hopefully be touched and have Relay For Life be something I look forward to participating in … I mainly want to see the dedication put in by so many people to raise money in one really exciting night.”

All proceeds from Relay For Life will be donated to the American Cancer Society. Although the registration deadline to run was last month, those wishing to donate can come out to the event, make donations online by visiting www.cancer.org and clicking on the “donate” link.