UI Steel Band brings Caribbean music to campus

By Adam Terese

The sounds of tropical steel drums will fill Foellinger Great Hall in the Krannert Center for the Performing Arts today when the UI Steel Band performs their second semester concert at 7:30 p.m. under the direction of Ricardo Flores, assistant professor of percussion.

Including Flores, the 13-piece band is mostly steel drums and consists mostly of music majors, with a drum set and other additional percussion. Flores said the band has been in existence for many years and was one of the first steel drum bands developed at a university in the country.

“I was introduced to this in the same way the students here are,” Flores said, who has been involved with steel drum since 1987. “The band is sounding very good this year; I’m really happy with where we are.”

A small student-run combo steel band called I-Pan will open the concert for the Steel Band on Friday night. Flores said that I-Pan, which includes some members of the larger steel band, books and plays gigs at local venues and helps students in learning how to run a band. They play more advanced music, and some performers are older students, Chris Hampson, freshman in FAA, said.

The Steel Band will perform in the second half of the show, treating audiences to approximately an hour and a half of the thundering sound of warm steel drums.

The band will perform songs ranging from those of the famous calypso composer Len “Boogsie” Sharpe to popular tunes such as an arrangement of “Africa,” by the rock band Toto. The band also plays works of its own.

“I encourage people to write, arrange, and to improvise,” Flores said. “We have some students who are improvising for their first time.”

Conducting the band for his fifth year, Flores’ described the band’s music selection as a “variety.” Originated from Trinidad, steel drums were used in playing a Caribbean-fueled type of music called calypso, Flores said. That isn’t the only type of music the audience should expect; the band will also play other styles such as soca, a combination of calypso and soul, as well as more pop-oriented tunes, Flores said.

The steel band, which rehearses Tuesday and Thursday in 90-minute classes, is also open to any interested students with experience in reading notes and a good sense of rhythm, Flores said. Hampson is one of three non-percussion majors who were able to join.

“I loved it from the very beginning,” said Hampson, one of three non-percussion majors in the band. “I heard there was an opening and I was like, ‘I need to join!'”

Sam Schmetterer, sophomore in FAA and member of the steel band, enjoys the band for the opportunity it gives him as a music education major. He said he spends about half an hour a week practicing outside of class.

“It gives me a chance to learn another instrument,” Schmetterer said. “I’m excited about the concert; I think we’re prepared.”

Flores said he expects a good turnout for the show.

“We do get a decent crowd. It is one of the most popular music groups here at school,” Flores said.

The band will be performing at Eastern Illinois University later in the year, and possibly on the Quad in late April, Flores said.