History professor receives French academic honor

By Kalyn Cooper

University history professor John Lynn received the Palmes Acad‚miques award from the French Ministry of National Education, Higher Education and Research, one of France’s highest academic honors, in a presentation Tuesday afternoon.

Yannick Mercoyrol, the cultural attach‚ of the French Consulate in Chicago, said Lynn received the award for his outstanding work as a historian. Lynn has been teaching French history and military history at Illinois since 1978, and he is an international expert on early modern European and French military history.

The University is now the home of 14 Palmes Acad‚miques recipients, most of whom are in the French department. Lynn is the first historian at the University to receive this honor. Mercoyrol said he doubted that any other university in the Midwest or even the nation could boast this many recipients on staff.

“I take great pride in the University for its efforts to serve as a bridge between France and the U.S.,” Lynn said in his acceptance speech.

According to a press release, Lynn is also the author of eight books on military history and has won many teaching prizes. He is also the president of the U.S. Commission on Military History and vice president of the Society for Military History.

“Americans remember they played a role in liberating France in World War II,” Lynn said of the partnership between the two countries. “But if we helped liberate France, France helped liberate us.”

Napoleon Bonaparte founded the Palmes Acad‚miques in 1808 and Lynn is highly deserving of the honor, Mercoyrol said.

“He has the capacity to promote French language and culture, but also the teaching of French history,” Mercoyrol said. “He is proof that our reach on American campuses goes beyond the French department.”

Carol Froeschl, Lynn’s receptionist, said she was not surprised he would receive such an honor, but that Lynn was.

“He was extremely excited when he heard the news,” she said. “I wasn’t shocked at all. He’s a good teacher because he’s very outgoing and bubbly with everyone he meets.”

Army ROTC director and professor of military science Steven Satterlee said Lynn was one of his favorite teachers when he was a student at the University in 1985.

“He was a great instructor, always flamboyant and knowledgeable,” Satterlee said. “He even hosts movie nights at his house and an event every summer at Normandy Beach.”

Satterlee said Lynn’s influence has guided him in his own career.

“I would like to tell him congratulations and thank him for guidance and mentorship that has helped make me a better officer.”

Lynn said teaching French culture is more than just teaching arts and philosophy, and the obligation he feels to present French values and nationalism is constantly rewarding.

“Fulfilling this obligation has been and continues to be a labor of love,” he said. “Love for France and her people, and of course love for those that I teach.”