Campus committees looking for interested students

By Kalari Girtley

The University is looking for students to fill more than a hundred positions available on different campus committees – a direct way for students to work with a faculty member on issues that affect the University.

Certain committees, such as the Tuition Policy Committee, have set a limit of three representatives per grade, but other committees welcome all students.

Joshua Rohrscheib, graduate student and co-president of Illinois Student Senate (ISS), said the selections are ultimately made by the administration.

“We assist with the interviews, but the administration has the final choice of who they want to work with,” Rohrscheib said.

Ryan Ruzic, ISS co-president and sophomore in LAS, said these committee positions are easy to apply for and that the student can apply to whatever committee interests them most. There are committees in fields from cultural programming to service fees.

“There are committees (available) for whatever the student may be interested in,” Ruzic said.

Ruzic said the committees are looking for a variety of students to provide a range of ideas.

“The committee is trying very hard to get a diversity of students,” Ruzic said.

Students can apply for a committee at the ISS Web site. If selected, the student must attend an interview.

Rohrscheib said 30 members of the ISS would be in charge of the interview process, which will occur April 18 to 28.

“Spots will be filled on (a) rolling basis, so it would help the applicant to apply as soon as they can,” Rohrscheib said.

ISS will be holding a town hall meeting about these committees on April 20 at 8 p.m. in the Pine Lounge of the Illini Union.