Enrollment expands in liquor class

Tessa Pelias

Tessa Pelias

By Gina Siemplenski

McKinley Health Center expanded enrollment for its Challenging Alcohol Attitudes Positively (CAAP) classes this semester to educate University students who have experienced negative consequences related to alcohol or drug abuse and help them prevent future problems.

But University and police officials said this increase in CAAP enrollment does not equate with an increase in substance abuse on campus.

“Generally, students are becoming more responsible with alcohol usage, especially since 2001, when 18 to 20 cases of binge drinking occurred during the first three weeks of class,” said University Police Officer Tony Ortiz, who is also a crime prevention coordinator.

Even with recent special celebratory circumstances, the University has not seen an increase in substance abuse, said Ben Morton, assistant to the director of student conflict resolution.

“Waves in how many tickets are written depends on enforcement by local police officers,” Morton said. “It’s hard to prove that there is a rise because patterns are cyclical, and some semesters are higher than others.”

Morton said there has not been a huge upswing in tickets and that each year has unique circumstances.

“When the Chicago Bears played here in 2003, we saw an increase in tickets being distributed,” Morton said. “And right now the underage offenders during unofficial have all waited until the end of the semester to schedule required disciplinary meetings.”

Ortiz said the University is not as strict as other campuses, but it is taking steps towards prevention. During the NCAA Final Four Games, administration was taking an active role in observing post-game activities.

“Assistant deans were alongside (police officers) observing students to check behavior and the University has also broadened conferences with the community and bars,” Ortiz said.

Both Morton and Ortiz said educational and orientation programs about University policy and consequences at the beginning of the year have also helped to curb substance abuse problems.

“There have been multiple approaches to curb the drinking problem, especially by the (University) Alcohol and Other Drugs Office (AODO),” Morton said. “The AODO puts the word out there in bulletin boards, flyers, handouts, educational programs with Greeks and student affair groups.”

However, some students think that efforts to inform students about the problems of drinking aren’t effective. For example, Eric Kolman, sophomore in LAS, has already received a second drinking ticket and said that a class will not modify his behavior.

“Last year I had to pay my ticket and take two classes on drinking and ethics,” Kolman said. “It was a waste of time because I don’t believe I’m not a binge drinker – I’m just unlucky.”

When Kolman sat in the police car last Saturday night after his second drinking ticket, he said he still knew that he would probably have to pay an additional fine and have to go to classes again, which will not have an affect on his behavior.

“I think it’s interesting that a speeding ticket costs $75 and a drinking ticket $280 when I’m not putting anyone’s life in danger, but people who speed are directly putting others’ lives at risk,” Kolman said.

However, Alcohol Awareness classes truly do benefit students like Michael DeLaRosa, freshman in LAS.

“The class helped me realize the consequences that could stem from drinking unreasonable amounts of alcohol, specifically that I am affecting those around me,” DeLaRosa said.

Classes make an impact on students and do serve as a catalyst for behavior modification. DeLaRosa said that the experience has been very eye opening for him.

“Because of the class, my alcohol consumption has been reduced and I feel like I can relay my newly found information to those engaging in alcohol around me,” DeLaRosa said.

Though DeLaRosa praises the class, he said that there are suggestions for improvement.

“I don’t think the class needs to be as long as it is because the points can be illustrated in less time and be more effective since people dread going in the first place,” DeLaRosa said.